1328Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Question for former Lutherans

  • byza7@aol.com
    Aug 15, 2009
      Kim,

      Ok, as I promised here is his exact response to your forum question so I
      will quote.

      "Kim should, first of all, sit down with her pastor and let him/her know
      about her interest in Orthodoxy, and her plans to attend an Orthodox Church.
      Separation is always a difficult thing, but made more difficult here by
      the active nature of Kim's membership. Since there is no indication that
      there are any problems with the Lutheran Church where she is attending (if
      there are, she will want to deal with them and heal as many wounds as
      possible during the process of leaving). Kim will want to be sure to leave on
      friendly terms. if anyone has a question about why she is leaving, Kim might
      say that she has found the fullness of the Truth in the Orthodox Church.
      Since Kim intends to continue going to an Orthodox Church, she should stop
      (cold turkey!) any activities at the Lutheran Church, but attend to the
      process of leaving in a personal, rather than public way, as outlined above."

      Welcome Home, Kim
      David Novak

      In a message dated 8/15/2009 10:43:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      belleartmom@... writes:

      I have been wondering for a few weeks now how to go about actually
      *leaving*
      the Lutheran church where I have been an active member for the past 5
      years.
      I have been attending an Orthodox church with my family for the past month,
      and would like to continue doing that. My dh and I did not attend the
      Lutheran church together, at the time he still had a paid position in the
      music "ministry" at the Methodist church we previously attended.
      So I feel kind of weird still performing my duties in things like LWML (I
      am a circle leader), picking up and delivering bread for our food pantry,
      etc. I am also council secretary and my term ends this year, so obviously I
      was going to decline if they ask me to continue that responsibility.
      Do I quit "cold turkey" and resign from everything? I have never done this
      before.
      Kim S.