1315Re: Question on Church Attendance

  • Dave W.
    Aug 7, 2009
      Thank you all for the kind replies. I have to be frank, not every time I would potentially be absent from liturgy would be for such an honorable purpose as recovering from exhaustion or helping a neighbor. There are sometimes things that pop up that I'd like to be part of, such as a weekend camping or fishing trip out of town. Or would that fall under "vacation", which my priest said was an understandable excuse?

      See, going into this with the knowledge that sometimes I would willfully be missing church on occasion for non-altruistic reasons makes me feel like I'd be a hypocrite. To go to confession, because I wanted to go on an occasional weekend camping/fishing trip doesn't sound like I'd be confessing the following week with a contrite spirit. It becomes more of an issue of "punching my ticket" to get back to communion, and that's just wrong.

      Additionally, my fear would be that if the rules and expectations are too strict, that it would cause resentment and bitterness. I should be going to liturgy willingly and with joy. To not do so would also be hypocritical, no?

      Dave