1308Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Question on Church Attendance

    Aug 7, 2009
      If you've been going regularly for 10 months and have only missed
      periodically, I would say that is your standard and you are meeting anything
      required. One is only to miss Liturgy due to cause. Determining what
      'cause' is, is between you and your spiritual father.

      For instance, we flew to the Midwest two weekends ago and the flight my wife
      booked meant I missed Liturgy. I could have gone to a 7am Liturgy, but that
      would have left my wife packing and dealing with our infant alone - not
      really something I could do. So, I missed. I have also missed when we have
      been on vacation and there is no Orthodox church, e.g., on most Caribbean
      islands and most non-major cities globally, or when the nearest Orthodox
      church is hours away. In such cases I defer to love, admit my sinfulness,
      and stay with the non-Orthodox wife and family (the baby is also not yet up
      to constant changes in schedule).

      *"...missing 3 consecutive Sundays without a valid reason means I've
      excommunicated myself."*

      This needs to be put into context. Excommunication in Orthodoxy is not the
      same as being kicked out of the Church. It means that one is barred from
      receiving communion. A simple 'excommunication' is if one eats in the
      morning before Liturgy (without a medical reason to do so, inclusive of
      pregnancy), having had sexual relations that morning or the evening before,
      or not being 'prepared' as required by your priest. As part of the
      spiritual treatment of one's passions, a priest may (may!) tell you to
      refrain from communion for a set period of time. I have never experienced
      this myself, but it is usually tied to especially heinous sins or to ongoing
      sins of a particular nature that are ongoing (e.g., those living together
      should likely not be communing).

      Personally, I have found I have a difficult time only going to church on
      Sunday mornings. I especially love Vigil on Saturday evenings in the
      Russian tradition, and weekday Vespers are wonderful. When I was inquiring,
      there were times I was in church everyday (we have a lot of services, then
      there is also a monastery that has daily services).

      As you noted, though, you are an inquirer. Take it easy on yourself. It
      seems as if you have been going to church a lot. Salvation is a process; we
      are being conformed to Christ, the likeness of His image in us is
      sharpening, developing. We are growing in wisdom and stature, as did Christ
      Himself in His human nature. There is growth in the spiritual life. One
      need not finish the race so as to start it; we build up to running
      marathons.

      I think the tempter is simply whispering in your ear. Ignore him. Keep
      going to church as you have been, and try to go just a tiny little bit more
      often than you would have otherwise or perhaps feel comfortable with. Such
      ascetic effort is like fasting, and Christ said WHEN we fast, not IF we
      fast. Whatever little else you can do - it is an offering to God. The fact
      we are ashamed we can't do more is humbling and God loves a humble and
      contrite spirit, he will not despise it (cf. Psalm 50/51).

      Blessed Fast to you!

      Christopher