      From: Kimberly Sparling <belleartmom@...>
      Subject: [LutheransLookingEast] Vespers service
      To: LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 9:04 AM

      Good morning all,
      I attended a Vespers service with my family last night at St. Basil the
      Great Antiochan Orthodox Church in Kansas City, KS. It was beautiful,
      peaceful, and so nice to spend an hour hearing Scripture! To tell the truth
      I was really worried about how my children would do, but they were fine.
      Guess the 90 minute services at our Lutheran church prepared them well. The
      coolest thing was that my 9yo son, who has some self control issues, *loved*
      it. My husband told me that after the service Shea told him that the
      "incense was awesome and the music was amazing".
      We got a chance to talk to Father Elias after the service and his wife took
      us on a tour. It is a brand new church they built in the past year. I was
      also pleased to find out that they have lots of families with children,
      something missing at our current church.
      I do have one question that I couldn't answer for my daughters. All of the
      women wore head coverings (long scarves wrapped around their heads), and I
      had not read anywhere
      about this. Can someone explain to me about the head covering? Do the
      girls and women both wear them, or just adult women?
      We will be going back next week for the Sunday Divine Liturgy.
      Kim S.