12RE: [LutheransLookingEast] What is meant by justification?

  • JWF
    Feb 27, 2007
      Hi Andrew,

      Three more thoughts that may prove helpful:

      1. The word "justification" as it appears in the Old and New Testaments
      is a much fuller term than the more narrow definition later hammered out in
      the midst of various controversies in the medieval and post-medieval
      schismatic West. It is this fuller use that is often applied by patristic
      theology, and hence by Orthodoxy (especially in its Eastern articulation).
      2. The word "justification" is not eschewed by Orthodox theologians.
      See the commentaries by these Orthodox theologians, e.g., St John
      Chrysostom, St Ambrose, and St Augustine.
      3. Although the word does not appear to be as precisely defined, the
      right doctrine that the schismatic Western theologians (whether Protestant
      or Catholic) attempted to articulate by means of this word is not denied but
      embraced in Orthodoxy, but often using different words.

      I hope this helps.

      Fr John W Fenton

      <mailto:jwfenton@...> jwfenton@...

      _____