10What is meant by justification?

  • Andrew
    Feb 27, 2007
      I've been trying to find, to no avail, a succinct Orthodox work on what is meant precisely
      by justification. I was referred by someone to Constantine Scouteris' "Church and
      Justification: An Orthodox Approach to the Issue of Justification and Collective Faith,"
      published in the Greek Orthodox Theological Review, but I didn't find it particularly
      helpful. Scouteris never defines justification, he just asserts that it cannot be separated
      from Christology and Ecclesiology. I also remember reading in John Romanides' The
      Ancestral Sin a few short pages devoted to the subject, in which he argued that justication
      should be understood as being made alive, vivified, or something to that effect.

      Would any of you either be willing to a) flesh this out for me as best as possible or b)
      direct me to some book and/or article that could?

      From my limited understanding, it seems to me that justification (whatever that means)
      just isn't that big of a deal to the Orthodox. I find this somewhat troubling, mostly
      because it seems to be a _very_ big deal for St. Paul. If my limited understanding is
      misguided or flat out wrong, I'd appreciate being told that, and shown why it is.

      Many thanks to Christopher Orr for making available this helpful resource.

      Andrew.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic