Re disputed nudes of Brooksie

  • ytyt7ytyt7
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2006
      I'm curious about the provenance of two photos which appear to be of
      Louise Brooks, but as far as I know, have never been authenticated
      as really her, rather than a look-alike.

      Photo #1: Full-length of Louise in a dance position, her arms raised
      and her left leg raised. Not exactly a full-frontal nude, but pubic
      hair is visible.
      Shown at http://thedarkwoods.free.fr/at%20home/nude.jpg

      Photo #2: Full-frontal, with her arms slightly raised, and a very
      long gauze strip flowing over her shoulders and down to the ground.
      Shown at http://silentladies.com/Brooks/pages/Brooks203.html

      Both photos appear to be of her, but it is my understanding
      that film historians have not found confirmation that Louise ever
      posed for any full-frontal nudes. All her other risque photos are
      more discrete.

      Do any of you know whether these two photos have ever been proven
      positively to be Louise Brooks?

      Thank you.
    • olive_e_thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
        From what I've been able to find out they seem to be Brooksie as is this
        image... Louise Brooks55
        <http://images.empousa.multiply.com/image/2/photos/3/orig/55.jpg?enctoke\
        n=UmFuZG9tSVbkr3zSD,q88J8N2fJlvpK9aa,npyV4drG0tW5jBYPfLA==>
        --- In Lulu-In-Cyberspace@yahoogroups.com, "ytyt7ytyt7" <robert@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm curious about the provenance of two photos which appear to be of
        > Louise Brooks, but as far as I know, have never been authenticated
        > as really her, rather than a look-alike.
        >
        > Photo #1: Full-length of Louise in a dance position, her arms raised
        > and her left leg raised. Not exactly a full-frontal nude, but pubic
        > hair is visible.
        > Shown at http://thedarkwoods.free.fr/at%20home/nude.jpg
        >

        > Photo #2: Full-frontal, with her arms slightly raised, and a very
        > long gauze strip flowing over her shoulders and down to the ground.
        > Shown at http://silentladies.com/Brooks/pages/Brooks203.html
        >
        > Both photos appear to be of her, but it is my understanding
        > that film historians have not found confirmation that Louise ever
        > posed for any full-frontal nudes. All her other risque photos are
        > more discrete.
        >
        > Do any of you know whether these two photos have ever been proven
        > positively to be Louise Brooks?
        >
        > Thank you.

      • ytyt7ytyt7
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
          Thank you very much for the photo. That's one I don't think I've
          seen before.

          You said "From what I've been able to find out..."
          Would you tell me please what your sources are, i.e. are these
          photos mentioned in a book, on a website, or what?

          I just like to pin things down when I can. Historical information
          can become distorted and inaccurate so easily, if we aren't careful.

          Thanks again,
          :O)

          --- In Lulu-In-Cyberspace@yahoogroups.com, olive_e_thomas
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > From what I've been able to find out they seem to be Brooksie as
          is this
          > image... Louise Brooks55
          > <http://images.empousa.multiply.com/image/2/photos/3/orig/55.jpg?
          enctoke\
          > n=UmFuZG9tSVbkr3zSD,q88J8N2fJlvpK9aa,npyV4drG0tW5jBYPfLA==>
          > --- In Lulu-In-Cyberspace@yahoogroups.com, "ytyt7ytyt7" <robert@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm curious about the provenance of two photos which appear to
          be of
          > > Louise Brooks, but as far as I know, have never been
          authenticated
          > > as really her, rather than a look-alike.
          > >
          > > Photo #1: Full-length of Louise in a dance position, her arms
          raised
          > > and her left leg raised. Not exactly a full-frontal nude, but
          pubic
          > > hair is visible.
          > > Shown at http://thedarkwoods.free.fr/at%20home/nude.jpg
          > >

          > > Photo #2: Full-frontal, with her arms slightly raised, and a very
          > > long gauze strip flowing over her shoulders and down to the
          ground.
          > > Shown at http://silentladies.com/Brooks/pages/Brooks203.html
          > >
          > > Both photos appear to be of her, but it is my understanding
          > > that film historians have not found confirmation that Louise ever
          > > posed for any full-frontal nudes. All her other risque photos are
          > > more discrete.
          > >
          > > Do any of you know whether these two photos have ever been proven
          > > positively to be Louise Brooks?
          > >
          > > Thank you.

        • m_lawrence_uk
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
            Hello

            The first two are genuine - Thomas Gladysz has commented on them in
            the past.

            However, this one is a composite. The head is a disproportionate size
            to the body, and it comes from another photo which I have put in the
            Composite album. I have seen the "body" before, but cannot trace it
            at the moment - when I do I will also put it in the Composite album.

            Cheers