RUTABAGA FAUXTATO SALAD

  • LowCarbRecipeBox@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2010

      Rutabaga "faux-tato" salad

      A rutabaga looks like a giant yellow-fleshed turnip and began as a hybrid between a turnip and cabbage. I was looking for a lower-carb alternative for a "fauxtato" salad. Potato has 24 net carbs per cup, while rutabaga has only 9 grams, making it the clear winner here. I previously tried chopped cauliflower, but the texture wasn't right, and I thought that an actual root vegetable would be a better choice. It has a much firmer texture and a bit of a radishy taste (which I enjoyed), but it is close enough that you could certainly share it with people eating an otherwise standard American diet.

      RUTABAGA FAUXTATO SALAD
      Serves 4-6

      INGREDIENTS
      • 1 large rutabaga (about 2 lbs)
      • 2 Tbs cider vinegar
      • 1/2 cup chopped dill pickle (optional)
      • 2 Tbs thinly sliced scallions
      • 1/4 cup mayonnaise (Spectrum light or full-fat)
      • 1/4 cup sour cream (light or full-fat)
      • 3/4 tsp dry mustard
      • 3/4 tsp celery salt
      • 2 Tbs minced fresh dill
      • 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced or chopped
      • Pepper, to taste
      DIRECTIONS
      1. Peel the rutabaga and cut it into cubes. Boil in generously-salted water until tender. Drain and cool.
      2. Combine the remaining ingredients. Add the rutabaga, toss, and chill for at least an hour.

      If you would like to request a recipe from the LowCarbRecipeBox,
      click here ~~>  I have a Recipe Request!