Low-Carb Mushroom Stuffing

  • LowCarbRecipeBox@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010

      Low-Carb Mushroom Stuffing

      This recipe, I am proud to say that my husband Jeremy cooked while I was making pie. We'd been toying with the idea of a stuffing with almond meal instead of breads, and bouncing ingredients back and forth while doing other things earlier in the day. So I was SO happy when he created this! I was so preoccupied with making a raw key lime pie that he finished it completely behind me without me even poking my head over to try to help. :)

      What makes it so amazing is that when we took it to a friend's house for dinner, and asked after the meal what people thought of it, they said they didn't even realize it was a bread-free stuffing! The consistency of the stuffing was so spot on that it wasn't noticeably low-carb, which makes me very happy.

      This recipe is also candida-friendly, is sugar free, yeast-free, and has super healthy coconut oil to hold the crumble together. YUM!

      Low-Carb Mushroom Stuffing

      3 cups mushrooms, chopped (we used crimini and shiitake)
      1 small zucchini, cubed (about 1 cup)
      1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
      1 sweet red pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
      2 ribs celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
      1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
      1/2 cup almond meal
      1/4 cup sage, finely chopped
      salt and pepper to taste
      Olive oil
      Sage sprigs

      Topping:
      1/2 cup almond meal
      1/4 coconut oil
      zest of 1/2 lemon
      4 sage leaves
      pinch of salt

      Brown the onion and celery in pan; set aside. Brown mushrooms; when liquid becomes substantial push the mushrooms to the side of the pan and add the sundried tomatoes to the center of the pan, allow them to cook in the liquid and soak it up. Set aside. Brown the zucchini, then add the red pepper and allow to cook until just tender. In a large bowl, mix up the cooked ingredients along with the sage, almond meal, salt and pepper. Pour into baking dish.

      Topping:
      Mix topping ingredients in food processor. Crumble across the top. Garnish with sprigs of sage.

      Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

      If you would like to request a recipe from the LowCarbRecipeBox,
      click here ~~>  I have a Recipe Request!