Low-Carb Halloween Recipe: Meringue Ghosts

  • LowCarbRecipeBox@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2010

      Low-Carb Halloween Recipe: Meringue Ghosts

      Source: http://find.myrecipes.com

      Meringues have been a low-carb desert staple for as long as I've kicked carbs. I've seen the low-carb meringue recipe tweaked to add every flavor imaginable.

      Sweet and fluffy, what better food to make into the shape of a ghost?

      However, this one might take some practice. It took me several tries before I figured out how to get my egg whites stiff enough without over beating them into a mess.

      It is absolutely imperative that your bowl is clean and dry, as any trace amount of fat will kill the meringue.  Make sure you use room temperate eggs, they separate better at room temperature.

      One other helpful tip I read somewhere is to separate the eggs into a bowl for the whites and a bowl for the yolks prior to adding them to your mixing bowl. This really helped me out, I don't think my eggs were separating completely on the first couple tries.

      You can make these guys as early as a week ahead of time for easy party day prep!

      Ingredients

      • 3 large egg whites
      • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
      • 3/4 cup Splenda┬«
      • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
      • 16 to 24 miniature semisweet chocolate chips or pieces semisweet chocolate
      • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

      Preparation

      Line 2 baking sheets (each 14 by 17 in.) with parchment paper.

      In a deep bowl, with a mixer at high speed, whip eggwhites and cream of tartar to a thick foam. Continuing to beat, add Splenda®, 1 tablespoon every 30 seconds, then whip until meringue holds very stiff peaks.

      Beat in vanilla and almond extract.

      Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip (or spoon into a gallon-size freezer bag, then cut off 1 corner to make a 1/2-inch-wide opening). Pipe meringue onto baking sheets into ghostly shapes about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, 2 to 4 inches wide, and 4 to 6 inches long, spacing about 2 inches apart. Press chocolate chips lightly into meringue to make eyes.

      Bake in a 200┬░ oven until meringues begin to turn pale gold and are firm to touch, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours; switch pan positions halfway through baking. Turn off heat and leave meringues in closed oven for 1 hour.

      Slide a spatula under meringues to release.

      Low-Carb Halloween Recipe: Meringue Ghosts | The Rogue Cookie

      If you would like to request a recipe from the LowCarbRecipeBox,
      click here ~~>  I have a Recipe Request!