UNKNOWN Cemetery and OLD VERNON CEMETERY - Jackson Parish

  • Louisiana Cemeteries
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2011
    This information was recently submitted.

    Fowler cemetery
    was known in 2001 to have only one headstone left for MARY FOWLER age 19 and being located on the property of FAULK residents on or near 2270 Zoar Rd on a pipeline.  The person identifying this cemetery indicated that to their recollection, 8-10 more headstones and burials existed at one time at this location.  LA-Cemeteries.com does NOT list this cemetery as FOWLER cemetery nor is this cemetery listed as an UNKNOWN in Jackson Parish on la-cemeteries.com (yet).  This is not an active cemetery to my knowledge. Cemetery circa 1840-1850 It is said that this cemetery is also near Pleasant Hill church, which is identified by USGS.

    OLD VERNON CEMETERY PHOTO GATE Attached contact for history background at the bottom of this email.

    From the 2001 report on FOWLER LONE GRAVE:

    The cemetery needs infrared imaging to determine the location of all the missing graves. The trees have shed leaves and there is presently mulch over the graves, making their location unable to be determined any longer.[in 2001] There is one existing marker present, grave of Mary Fowler, died age 19 [in 2001]. A fence needs to be put up and underbrush cleared from cemetery and a path provided to the cemetery. There are headstones buried beneath the underbrush and fallen leaves and these need to be found and restored or replaced.

    From SAVING GRAVES ARCHIVE
    Fowler Cemetery Jackson Parish
    Written by Louisiana Cemetery Preservation
    Monday, 26 April 2010 18:45 -
    Saving Graves
    Site Map
    Fowler Cemetery
    Chatham, Jackson County, Louisiana
    Cemetery: Fowler
    Other:
    Sign: No
    Street: 2270 Zoar Road
    City: Chatham, about 10 miles east and south of Chatham off hwy 34
    Township:
    County: Jackson
    State: Louisiana
    Nation: United States
    Zip: 71226
    Size: Small
    Directions: cemetery is located on property of Lynn Faulk. From Chatham, travel west on hwy
    34 towards Winnfield. Go about 6 miles and turn left onto Zoar Road. Go about 5 miles, go past
    Pleasant Hill Baptist Church and you will see brick house on right just past church. This is David
    Faulk, father of Lynn Faulk. The cemetery is located on an pipeline next to house of David and
    Lynn Faulk, on the right hand side of the road. There is presently one marker, but, many graves
    unmarked.
    Type: Road-public
    Location: Rural-woods
    Terrain: Level
    Watersource: No
    Features: located next to a gas pipeline, there is much underbrush and small trees
    Land Type: Private
    Access: Permission-required
    Enclosure: None
    Gate: None
    Established: mid 1800's
    Gravestones: 8-10 remembered, presently only 1 marker
    Oldest: 1840-1850
    Newest: unknown
    Removed: Unknown
    Relocated: Unsure
    Repairs: Yes
    Methods: Other
    Restoration: No
    Association: No
    Records: Unsure
    1 / 3
    Fowler Cemetery Jackson Parish
    Written by Louisiana Cemetery Preservation
    Monday, 26 April 2010 18:45 -
    Inventory: No
    Records location:
    Landscaping: No
    Paths: No
    Trees: Yes
    Crypts: No
    Fencing: No
    Walkways: No
    Brickwork: No
    Ironwork: No
    Sculpture: No
    Fountains: No
    Roads: No
    Buildings: No
    Cement: Yes
    Granite: Yes
    Marble: Unsure
    Native Stone: Unsure
    Slate: Unsure
    Other Stone: Unsure
    Wood: Unsure
    Materials: Unsure
    Architectural: Unsure
    Angels: Unsure
    Draperies: Unsure
    Fraternal: Unsure
    Hands: Unsure
    Lambs: Unsure
    Monograms: Unsure
    Plants: Unsure
    Photos: Unsure
    Religious: Unsure
    Scrollwork: Unsure
    Urns: Unsure
    Other Carvings: Unsure
    Condition: Cemetery destroyed
    Unmarked: Yes
    Broken: Yes
    Toppled: Yes
    Disintegrating: Yes
    Buried: Yes
    Weather problems: Yes
    Pollution problems: No
    Vandalized: No
    Overgrowth: Gravestones-Damaging
    Vegetation: Trees
    2 / 3
    Fowler Cemetery Jackson Parish
    Written by Louisiana Cemetery Preservation
    Monday, 26 April 2010 18:45 -
    Vegetation: Ground-Cover
    Drainage: Good
    Owner: Private
    Use:
    Bordering: Woods
    Change: Unknown
    Reason:
    Visited: Unknown
    Archeology: No
    Habitat: Unknown
    Contacted: I have not contacted anyone.
    Needs
    The cemetery needs infrared imaging to determine the location of all the missing graves. The
    trees have shed leaves and there is presently mulch over the graves, making their location
    unable to be determined any longer. There is one existing marker present, grave of Mary
    Fowler, died age 19. A fence needs to be put up and underbrush cleared from cemetery and a
    path provided to the cemetery. There are headstones buried beneath the underbrush and fallen
    leaves and these need to be found and restored or replaced.
    Other Information
    Whenever I was a child in the mid 1960's, a gas pipeline came through, just across the road
    from my childhood home. It ran into the cemetery and this pipeline company restored the
    cemetery, placed a fence around the graves and I remember there being at least 4 markers and
    also several unmarked graves. From memory, I recall there being a Reverend Fowler, possibly
    James, around age 56 and also a 19 year old female, Mary Fowler. The dates were mid 1800's.
    The gas pipeline is still there in operation and maybe one could locate or contact the gas
    company and enquire about the records they may have for the cemetery restoration. There
    were some markings on the headstones, but, I can not recall what they were.
    Support
    I do not know anyone else to contact about the cemetery.
    Submitted by:
    name: Penny Myers
    Email: pmyers@...
    Date: December 23, 2001
    3 / 3

    There is a cemetery committee for OLD VERNON CEMETERY info submitted by Cheryl Hightower Parish for A. Walker.

    contact Mrs Walker @ (318) 249-4344
    or write @ Allie Bell Walker
    5381 hwy. 146
    Ruston, Louisiana 71270

    Photographs for OLD VERNON Cemetery 2001 (More photos?) submitted by Cheryl Hightower Parish for A. Walker.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/32958212@N08/sets/72157625824405755

    http://louisianacemeteries.blogspot.com/2011/01/old-vernon-cemetery-jackson-parish.html

    Louisiana Cemetery Preservation
    louisianacemeteries@...

  • Louisiana Cemeteries
    Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2011
      Dear LA DEPT ARCH

      An email was also sent to SHERIFF of Jackson Parish, LA AG, LA REGIONAL DEPT ARCH and POLICE JURY with regards to this unknown cemetery on or near a pipeline located near 2270 Zoar Rd. Please see the email sent below:

      From: abrown@... <abrown@...>
      To: "Louisiana Cemeteries" <louisianacemeteries@...>
      Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 11:16 AM

      I am in receipt of this email but I am not sure what kind of help you are asking for. Please advise me and I will do my best to assist you.

      Andy Brown,
      Sheriff of Jackson Parish

      Date: December 23, 2001
      3 / 3

      There is a cemetery committee for OLD VERNON CEMETERY info submitted by Cheryl Hightower Parish for A. Walker.

      contact Mrs Walker @ (318) 249-4344
      or write @ Allie Bell Walker
      5381 hwy. 146
      Ruston, Louisiana 71270

      Photographs for OLD VERNON Cemetery 2001 (More photos possible) submitted by Cheryl Hightower Parish for A. Walker.

      --- In LouisianaCemeteryPreservation@yahoogroups.com, Louisiana Cemeteries <louisianacemeteries@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > were some markings on the headstones, but, I can not recall what they were.
      > Support
      > I do not know anyone else to contact about the cemetery.
      > Submitted by:
      > name: Penny Myers
      > Email: pmyers@...
      > Date: December 23, 2001
      > 3 / 3
      >
      > There is a cemetery committee for OLD VERNON CEMETERY info submitted by Cheryl Hightower Parish for A. Walker.
      >
      > contact Mrs
      > Walker @ (318) 249-4344
      >
      > or write @ Allie Bell Walker
      >
      > 5381 hwy. 146
      >
      > Ruston, Louisiana
      > 71270
      >

      > Photographs for OLD VERNON Cemetery 2001 (More photos?) submitted by Cheryl Hightower Parish for A. Walker.

    • Louisiana Cemeteries
      Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2011
        Regarding FOWLER CEMETERY or UNKNOWN cemetery Jackson Parish the LA DEPT of ARCH responded with hopes that the Regional DEPT OF ARCH may be able to get an update on the condition of this cemetery.