Washington Parish Bogalusa Cemetery - Clean Up Project

  • Louisiana Cemeteries
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2009
      Washington Parish Bogalusa Cemetery Clean Up Project - Save Bogalusa
      An Uneasy Peace: At Bogalusa Cemetery, soldiers’ graves are being overgrown

      http://www.gobogalusa.com/articles/2009/04/06/news/doc49da0fd293052463947317.txt

      By Jacob Brooks
      The Daily News
      Published/Last Modified on Monday, April 6, 2009 10:12 AM CDT

      Several of the veterans’ headstones at Bogalusa Cemetery are slowly being overrun by grass. Some can barely be seen, if at all, and sinkholes cause others to lean awkwardly. Pieces of tattered American flags are strewn about, long past their prime. The flagpole at the head of the veteran’s plot stands barren.

      That’s the scene Bogalusa resident Wendy Williams saw while taking a walk through the city cemetery about two weeks ago. She’s decided to do something about it.

      “I want to fix it up and mark each grave with a flag,” said Williams, president of the non-profit group Project: Save Bogalusa.
      A fragment of the American flag is seen in the veteran’s plot at Bogalusa Cemetery.

      (Use arrows above to view more photos)

      *
      Williams already has a plan to fix the plot that contains 30 or more veterans, most from World War II, and she even has a completion date for the mission: May 16, Armed Forces Day.

      She’s asking individuals and organizations in the community for help. “We are working in conjunction with Mr. (Edward) Buckley with VFW and the City of Bogalusa on this project. I have made a request for two local funeral homes to participate, and have got a call in to the State of Louisiana Rayburn Correctional Institute... they hopefully can provide some inmates for labor,” Williams wrote in a recent e-mail.

      She has scheduled two community workdays: April 18 and May 2, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days. She’s asking anyone who wants to help to simply show up at the cemetery during those times.

      Williams said she also has spoken to U.S. Rep. Steve Scalise, who has pledged his support.

      Buckley said the Bogalusa chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars did a similar community project for the veteran’s plot in 1999, even erecting the VFW sign that can still be seen on the site. The local VFW, however, is no longer active, he said, adding the city is responsible for the maintenance of the cemetery.

      City officials did not immediately return phone calls for this story.

      Williams said when she saw the state of the veteran’s plot, she had to act.

      “My grandfather is a veteran,” she said, adding the veterans buried at Bogalusa Cemetery deserve better.

      For more information, call Williams at (985) 516-2005.
      wiki_master
      wiki_master re: Washington Parish Bogalusa Cemetery Clean Up Project - Save Bogalusa
      EXCERPT COMMENTS FROM ARTICLE

      R. DAVID SHOWS wrote on Apr 6, 2009 7:34 PM:
      " THE CONDITION OF THESE HEADSTONES IN THE VETERANS PLOT IS A DISGRACE. THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY DESERVE MUCH BETTER TREATMENT THAN THEIR GRAVES HAVE BEEN GIVEN. "

      Bob Lawrence wrote on Apr 6, 2009 2:30 PM:
      " Mayor C. P. Verger and I, in 1981, took up each of the headstones in the older veterans plot and, one by one, raised them up and filled under to level. Both army veterans (Verger was also Col. Verger), we decided to change several things to improve the plot. We put up a light (now inoperative) to illuminate the Flag so it would fly day and night, realligned all the stones, and resodded some parts. Legion Post 24 has always done a wonderful job with the little Flags. It can all easily be done again. "

      END EXCERPT
      wiki_master
      wiki_master re: Washington Parish Bogalusa Cemetery Clean Up Project - Save Bogalusa
      Contacted: Louisiana Cemetery Board
      April 9, 2009

      Is the Bogalusa Cemetery under the jurisdiction of the City of Bogalusa for maintenance issues? There is an effort underway to clean up this cemetery, as many Veteran graves are unkept. Documented by, The Daily News author Jacob Brooks with photographs.

      http://www.gobogalusa.com/articles/2009/04/06/news/doc49da0fd293052463947317.txt

      Comments:

      R. DAVID SHOWS wrote on Apr 6, 2009 7:34 PM:
      " THE CONDITION OF THESE HEADSTONES IN THE VETERANS PLOT IS A DISGRACE. THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED THEIR COUNTRY DESERVE MUCH BETTER TREATMENT THAN THEIR GRAVES HAVE BEEN GIVEN. "

      Bob Lawrence wrote on Apr 6, 2009 2:30 PM:
      " Mayor C. P. Verger and I, in 1981, took up each of the headstones in the older veterans plot and, one by one, raised them up and filled under to level. Both army veterans (Verger was also Col. Verger), we decided to change several things to improve the plot. We put up a light (now inoperative) to illuminate the Flag so it would fly day and night, realligned all the stones, and resodded some parts. Legion Post 24 has always done a wonderful job with the little Flags. It can all easily be done again. "

      If the City of Bogalusa is responsible for this cemeterys upkeep, please strongly encourage their ongoing participation in the future!

      Bogalusa Cemetery
      Anthony Fiorenzia Drive
      Bogalusa, LA 70429
      985-732-6213

      Washington Parish, LA
      Police Jury
      P.O. Box 607
      Parish Courthouse Building
      Franklinton, LA 70438-0607

      Sincerely,

      Louisiana Cemeteries
      louisianacemeteries@...
      wiki_master
      wiki_master re: Washington Parish Bogalusa Cemetery Clean Up Project - Save Bogalusa
      RE: Internet Contact Form
      Monday, April 13, 2009 6:47 AM
      From:
      "Lucy McCann" <lmccann@...>
      Add sender to Contacts
      To:
      louisianacemeteries@...
      Cc:
      SeidemannR@...

      Yes, our records indicate the Bogalusa Cemetery is owned and operated by the City of Bogalusa.

[...]

      Phone: (985)839-7825

      Louisiana Cemeteries

      louisianacemeteries@...

      PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE NEWS STORY
      BogalusaCemetery04062008 - photos of 6 unkept veterans headstones (repair?)
      BogalusaCemeteryb04062009 - (VFW sign of readable veteran)
      BogalusaCemeteryc04062009 - (unkept conditions include flag desecration)