Re: Lost Religion of Jesus Forks Over Knives

  • Jennifer Lipka
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7, 2011
      Hey thank you so much for this!
      Jennifer Lipka

      --- On Mon, 4/18/11, Adam Clark <panacea2013@...> wrote:

      From: Adam Clark <panacea2013@...>
      Subject: Lost Religion of Jesus Forks Over Knives
      To: Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, April 18, 2011, 7:30 AM

      Dear all,

      I thought this looked interesting. It is due for release next month.

      http://www.forksoverknives.com/

      God bless,

      Adam

    • Adam Clark
      Message 2 of 12 , May 7, 2011
        You're welcome Jennifer. Long time no hear. I hope medical school has turned out how you hoped. Does it cover much on diet?

        All the best,

        Adam

        --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Lipka <spiritwrestler73@...> wrote:

        > Hey thank you so much for this!Jennifer Lipka

      • Jennifer Lipka
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2011
        • 1 Attachment
        • 72 KB
        Do we cover diet?  Absolutely not like we should.  Do I cover diet and nutrition with my patients?  You betcha!  However, you have to understand that in the US, the pharmaceutical industry is so powerful, and so many people want a pill to solve their problems, and don't want to do what they need to do, which is alter their diet.  Our healthcare system is also set up to reward procedures and not pay for preventative medicine, which also means helping a person find their inherent health is not easy in this US system.  This is a tough country to go into primary care in for many reasons.

        Do you know about Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution?  He got a mainstream TV show here in the States that is wonderful, going into some of the poorest towns and working with the school systems to change the foods kids are getting, and he meets with kids and families who have obesity and obesity induced heart, liver, kidney problems, diabetes, etc etc.  I have watched episodes and cried, it is really moving, he has a ton of spunk and really believes in his mission, which is so good, he is really tackling obesity and all the obesity induced health issues straight on.

        I'm sure you have heard too about the Tea Party totally attacking First Lady Michelle Obama's anti-childhood obesity campaign?

        As for medical school--in 12 months I graduate.  I've been out of the classroom and in the clinics now for the past 12 months, and I love it.  I hated the classroom part of medical school, I will not lie.  But now having patients, working with real patients, I love it.  I just got back from the annual meeting of the National Rural Health Association, they have ten students on their board and I am one of them.  Here in the US the rural population is far poorer than the urban, and because the country is so huge there are a lot of issues around just access to health care, with sometimes 100 miles between doctors and further to a hospital.  The only healthcare in the rural US is usually either Critical Access Hospitals, Rural Health Clinics, or Federally Qualified Health Centers--despite the whole political debate about health care in the US, the government is the only game guaranteeing access to a doctor in rural America.  That is what I am planning on doing.  I had the greatest rotation at Katahdin Valley Health Center way up in the northern wilderness of Maine, and I leave you with a photo of my view to and from the clinic the everyday--

        And I hope all is well with you too!
        Jennifer Lipka

        You're welcome Jennifer. Long time no hear. I hope medical school has turned out how you hoped. Does it cover much on diet?

        All the best,

        Adam

        --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Lipka <spiritwrestler73@...> wrote:

        > Hey thank you so much for this!Jennifer Lipka

      • Adam Clark
        Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2011
          Thanks Jennifer. I am glad you are well and have found your calling as a doctor. Your picture of Maine looks amazing.

          In answer to your questions, we also had Jamie Oliver's shows over here in the UK. I watched the original one which covered UK schools and also the US version. They made great viewing and covered many of the issues with mass commercial catering/ready meals. Shame it didn't also cover the health advantages of plant=based diets, but I suppose one step at a time. I wasn't aware of Michelle Obama's anti-childhood obesity campaign, but it doesn't surprise me she was attacked for it. There are a lot of powerful people from the meat, dairy, food and pharmaceutical industries that have vested interests in keeping the status quo.

          I was wondering if you read my three previous posts regarding plant-based diets (titled "The Rise of the Power Vegans", "Food for thought" and "Veganism - The Truth?"). As you may be aware, there is currently a wave of US doctors who are advocating a plant-based diet for optimum health. One doctor I have particular time for is Michael Klaper who works at the TrueNorth Health Center in Santa Rosa, California. I loved his presentation "A Diet For All Reasons". Have you seen it?

          God bless,

          Adam

          --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Lipka <spiritwrestler73@...> wrote:

          > Do we cover diet?  Absolutely not like we should.  Do I cover diet and nutrition with my patients?  You betcha!  However, you have to understand that in the US, the pharmaceutical industry is so powerful, and so many people want a pill to solve their problems, and don't want to do what they need to do, which is alter their diet.  Our healthcare system is also set up to reward procedures and not pay for preventative medicine, which also means helping a person find their inherent health is not easy in this US system.  This is a tough country to go into primary care in for many reasons.
          > Do you know about Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution?  He got a mainstream TV show here in the States that is wonderful, going into some of the poorest towns and working with the school systems to change the foods kids are getting, and he meets with kids and families who have obesity and obesity induced heart, liver, kidney problems, diabetes, etc etc.  I have watched episodes and cried, it is really moving, he has a ton of spunk and really believes in his mission, which is so good, he is really tackling obesity and all the obesity induced health issues straight on.
          > I'm sure you have heard too about the Tea Party totally attacking First Lady Michelle Obama's anti-childhood obesity campaign?
          > As for medical school--in 12 months I graduate.  I've been out of the classroom and in the clinics now for the past 12 months, and I love it.  I hated the classroom part of medical school, I will not lie.  But now having patients, working with real patients, I love it.  I just got back from the annual meeting of the National Rural Health Association, they have ten students on their board and I am one of them.  Here in the US the rural population is far poorer than the urban, and because the country is so huge there are a lot of issues around just access to health care, with sometimes 100 miles between doctors and further to a hospital.  The only healthcare in the rural US is usually either Critical Access Hospitals, Rural Health Clinics, or Federally Qualified Health Centers--despite the whole political debate about health care in the US, the government is the only game guaranteeing access to a doctor in rural America.  That is what I am planning
          > on doing.  I had the greatest rotation at Katahdin Valley Health Center way up in the northern wilderness of Maine, and I leave you with a photo of my view to and from the clinic the everyday--
          > And I hope all is well with you too!Jennifer Lipka

        • Jennifer Lipka
          Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2011
            Yes I have read those posts.  The doctor who advocates plant-based diets who has the most credibility in terms of evidence based medicine is Dr. Dean Ornish, who has actually done decades of research, which means even Medicare and Medicaid will pay for the Dr. Dean Ornish heart health program, which asks people to make serious lifestyle changes, like incorporating exercise and yoga and meditation and a plant based diet to not only treat their heart disease, but reverse it.  Right now he also has some promising studies regarding reversing prostate cancer by adopting a plant based diet along with exercise, yoga, and meditation.

            There is of course in something as mainstream as medicine a lot of pushback to advocating something a plant based diet or yoga--more people go to the doctor for low back pain than colds, the close 2nd.  Because healthcare is a billion dollar industry, everything really comes down to having the studies, because if it is not evidence based medicine, it will not be paid for.  But there are more and more studies being done now by doctors and in medicine on the benefits of the vegan diet, it is just going to take awhile for those results to be published, to be challenged, to be replicated, before veganism is something doctors think about advocating.

            The main barrier is going to be cost; there is a lot of food insecurity here, and food from the food banks is usually processed and high in animal fat.  Official government food assistance programs are doing a good job, though--the WIC (women-infants-children) program has three tiers--breastfeeding women get the most food assistance, followed by the non-meat/tofu and bean and nut package, and then the least amount of food assistance goes to those wanting a traditional meat protein package.  The same goes with food stamps, the government is doing a great job advertising ways to use your food stamps and emphasizing fruits, vegetables, rice, and beans.

            But efforts like this are getting major pushback from the Republicans, who believe this and all government efforts to combat obesity and the health problems that come from a bad diet as an example of the Democrats wanting to make a nanny state or permanent welfare state.

            It is very unfortunate, as 8/10 top causes of death in the US are the result of lifestyle choices and are for the most point preventable, whether it be many forms of cancer, heart disease, COPD, diabetes, etc.  But we are not as a nation at a point where we are interested in investing money in human beings, caretaker roles in society are the least paid jobs there are, and as a nation we just don't have the best of priorities when it comes to our health and wellbeing.

            But thanks for the info!  Glad you watched the Jamie Oliver show, I feel like for mainstream America that was a really powerful program and he is someone I really admire for his efforts.

            Jennifer

> [...]

            > on doing.  I had the greatest rotation at Katahdin Valley Health Center way up in the northern wilderness of Maine, and I leave you with a photo of my view to and from the clinic the everyday--
            > And I hope all is well with you too!Jennifer Lipka

          • Adam Clark
            Message 6 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
              Dear all,

              Here is a recent review of Forks Over Knives from Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times:

              http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110511/REVIEWS/110519995

              The film is due for DVD release on 30/8/11. Has anyone seen it? I have not.

            • Adam Clark
              Message 7 of 12 , Oct 13, 2011
                For those that have not seen the film and want to, you can watch it here:

                http://www.novamov.com/video/izipqi57pi16k

                --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Clark" <panacea2013@...> wrote:

                > Dear all,
                >
                > I thought this looked interesting. It is due for release next month.
                >
                > http://www.forksoverknives.com/
                >
                > God bless,
                >
                > Adam

              • Jennifer Lipka
                Message 8 of 12 , Oct 13, 2011
                  This movie made even the most jackass doctor I've ever met go vegan.
                  Jennifer

                  For those that have not seen the film and want to, you can watch it here:

                  http://www.novamov.com/video/izipqi57pi16k

                  --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Clark" <panacea2013@...> wrote:

                  > Dear all,
                  >
                  > I thought this looked interesting. It is due for release next month.
                  >
                  > http://www.forksoverknives.com/
                  >
                  > God bless,
                  >
                  > Adam

                • Adam Clark
                  Message 9 of 12 , Oct 14, 2011
                    Hi Jennifer and all,

                    I have only just finished watching the film as I was having a problem with it streaming. For those who have also experienced issues, try the lower quality version below. The resolution is not as good but at least it worked.

                    http://www.novamov.com/video/mjebqqpdi3ctq

                    I liked the film by the way.

                    All the best,

                    Adam

                    --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Lipka <spiritwrestler73@...> wrote:

                    > This movie made even the most jackass doctor I've ever met go vegan.
                    > Jennifer
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • John Thomas
                    Message 10 of 12 , Oct 15, 2011
                      Forks Over Knives is also streamable on netflix.

                      - John

                      "If God has called you to be a missionary
                      Don't stoop to be a king." -Jeremy Post

                    • Adam Clark
                      Message 11 of 12 , Oct 22, 2011
                        I have just watched a talk called "The Pleasure Trap" by Douglas Lisle, a psychologist who featured on Forks Over Knives. I found it enlightening. He explains that, even though we may know that a low-fat plant-based wholefood diet is best for us, we find it hard to change our diet:

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxf4kj8Rb6Y