announcing the publication of Christian Anarchism: A Political Commentary on the

  • alexandrechristoyannopoulos
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2010
      Dear all,

      It is my pleasure to announce the publication of a revised version of my doctoral thesis, titled Christian Anarchism: A Political Commentary on the Gospel, with Imprint Academic. It can be purchased with a discount via the publisher's website (http://www.booksonix.com/imprint/bookshop/title.php?9781845401931), or otherwise from most alternative online booksellers. See below for further details. Please circulate as widely as you wish to.

      Best wishes,

      Alex

      Christian Anarchism
      A Political Commentary on the Gospel
      (Hardback – 1 Jan 2010)

      By Alexandre Christoyannopoulos
      ISBN 9781845401931
      Imprint Academic

      Christian anarchism has been around for at least as long as "secular" anarchism. The existing literature cites Leo Tolstoy as its most famous (sometimes even as the only) proponent, but there are many others, such as Jacques Ellul, Vernard Eller, Dave Andrews or the people associated with the Catholic Worker movement. Both individually and collectively, these Christian anarchists offer a compelling critique of the state, the church and the economy based on numerous passages from the New Testament.

      Yet despite the relevance and growth of this literature, no generic study bringing together these different thinkers or reflecting on their contribution has been published to date, because such work involves meticulous searching, compiling and structuring of countless different texts and sources, not all of which are easily accessed. Alexandre Christoyannopoulos, however, provides precisely such a study, and thereby presents Christian anarchism to both the wider public and the wider academic community.

      Dr Alexandre Christoyannopoulos is an Associate Lecturer at the University of Kent where he received his PhD in Politics and Government in 2008.

      "Dr Christoyannopoulos has produced a superb discussion of Christian anarchism from Tolstoy to the present day. He combines a wide scope and meticulous scholarship with impressive analytical ability. He also writes clearly and well – not always the case in this area. This book is required reading for those interested in alternative conceptions of politics."
      Professor David McLellan, author Karl Marx: A Biography

      "Alexandre Chistoyannopoulos's engaging and intelligent study of Christian anarchism directly confronts the perception that these two traditions of thought are incompatible. At the heart of this scholarly discussion is the work of Tolstoy but the analysis is enriched by an examination of a much wider range of writers and movements. Anyone interested in the vital issues of non-violence, the limits of political obligation, resistance, compassion and justice will find this book enormously illuminating."
      Dr Ruth Kinna, Senior Lecturer in Politics at Loughborough University, editor of Anarchist Studies

      --

      Dr Alexandre Christoyannopoulos
      Associate/Sessional Lecturer
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2010
        Looks very interesting Alex, I will check it out.

        God bless,

        Adam