no eye for an an eye, ever again

  • Pete Z
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2007
      an eye for an eye was a good plan in the old
      testament.

      tribal problems were solved with too much violence.
      if a man harmed an eye, then he might have both struck
      out. but under the law of moses, the idea of
      proportionality came about. ONLY and eye for an
      eye....but moses was just moses. i follow jesus.

      God's final directive in dealing with violence is
      given by Jesus Christ in Matthew 5:38, 39: "You have
      heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for
      tooth.'But I tell you, do not resist an evil person.
      If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him
      the other also."

      Christ goes on to say in the same chapter (verses 43,
      44), "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your
      neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love
      your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
      The Early Church on Violence

      i grew up in church that did not pray for miracles.
      but jesus did miracles and so did the apostles. and
      then i found out god does miracles today.

      so many people say they want a "biblical" faith, but
      they really don't.

      the teaching of jesus are INSANE!

      my deep feeling is to HARM my enemies. not love them.
      that shows how evil i am. but i don't want to stay
      evil.

      all the early christians believed in nonviolence.
      they assumed that the governments would use violence.
      then christians became more powerful. and some of them
      were in government. they were told that they could not
      use the sword as governor or soldier AND be a
      christian.

      some exceptions were made for soldiers to stay
      soldiers. but if a chrsitain BECAME a solider, he was
      excommunicated.

      below are parts of a sermon, and then quotes from
      early christians:

      In modern society, loving one's enemies, turning the
      other cheek, and accepting persecution are honorable
      ideals, but they are viewed as impractical and
      unrealistic in a fallen world filled with great evil.
      People often ask, "What would you do if someone was
      breaking into your house, or attempting to rape your
      wife, or about to kill your grandmother? Don't you
      have to use violence in those situations, even if you
      are a Christian?"

      Such questions demonstrate how integral violence has
      become in mankind's coping processes. In such
      instances, the questioner often assumes that the only
      real options are "kill or be killed." John H. Yoder,
      in his book What Would You Do?, points out that there
      are a number of options open to a Christian even in
      the most dangerous of predicaments. The Christian, if
      he sees a person about to attack his mother or wife,
      can attempt to think of some way to disarm the
      attacker emotionally. "It might be a loving gesture, a
      display of moral authority, or by undefensive
      harmlessness which might disarm him
      psychologically.... If money is what he wants, I could
      hand it over." There are testimonies which show that
      such tactics can be successful.

      “We who had been filled with mutual slaughter and
      every wickedness, have each one - all the world over -
      changed the instruments of war, the swords into
      ploughs and the spears into farming instruments, and
      we cultivate piety righteousness, love for men, faith
      and hope which is from the Father Himself through the
      Crucified One.” - Justin Martyr, 100 - 165 A.D.

      “He who holds the sword must cast it away and that if
      one of the faithful becomes a soldier he must be
      rejected by the Church, for he has scorned God.” -
      Clement of Alexandria, aprox. 150-216 A.D.

      “Under no circumstances should a true Christian draw
      the sword.” – Tertullian, 155-230 A.D.

      “We have come in accordance with the counsel of Jesus
      to cut down our arrogant swords of argument into
      plowshares, and we convert into sickles the spears we
      formerly used in fighting. For we no longer take
      swords against a nation, nor do we learn anymore to
      make war, having become sons of peace for the sake of
      Jesus, who is our Lord.” - Origen of Alexandria,
      185-254 A.D.

      “We, who were formerly slayers of one another, not
      only do not make war upon our enemies, but, for the
      sake of neither lying nor deceiving those who examine
      us, gladly die confessing Christ.” - Justin Martyr,
      100 - 165 A.D.

      “But how will a Christian war, nay, how will he serve
      even in peace without a sword, which the Lord has
      taken away? For albeit soldiers had come unto John,
      and had received the formula of their rule; albeit,
      likewise, a centurion had believed, still the Lord
      afterward, in disarming Peter, unbelted every
      soldier.” - Tertullian, 160-225 A.D.

      “The divine banner and the human banner do not go
      together, nor the standard of Christ and the standard
      of the devil. Only without the sword can the Christian
      wage war: for the Lord has abolished the sword.” -
      Tertullian, 160-225 A.D.

      “A person who has accepted the power of killing, or a
      soldier, may never be received [into the church] at
      all.” - Hippolytus, 170-236 A.D.

      “We cannot endure even to see a man put to death,
      though justly.” - Athenagoras of Athen, aprox 180 A.D.

      “You cannot demand military service of Christians any
      more than you can of priests. We do not go forth as
      soldiers.” Origen of Alexandria, 185-254 A.D.

      “And so it will not be lawful for a just man to serve
      as a soldier - for justice itself is his military
      service - nor to accuse anyone of a capital offense,
      because it makes no difference whether thou kill with
      a sword or with a word, since killing itself is
      forbidden. And so, in this commandment of God, no
      exception at all ought to be made to the rule that it
      is always wrong to kill a man, whom God has wished to
      be regarded as a sacrosanct creature…Thou shalt not
      kill… It is always unlawful to put a man to death.” -
      Lactantius of Bithynia, aprox 240-317 A.D.

      .

      “And this is at least incredible, inasmuch as even now
      those Barbarians who have an innate savagery of
      manners . . . and cannot endure to be a single hour
      without weapons; but when they hear the teaching of
      Christ, straightway instead of fighting they turn to
      husbandry, and instead of arming their hands with
      weapons they raise them in prayer, and in a word, in
      place of fighting among themselves henceforth they arm
      against the devil and against evil spirits, subduing
      these by self-restrains and virtue of soul. Now this
      is at once a proof of the divinity of the Saviour,
      since what men could not learn among idols they have
      learned from him.” - Athanasius, 296-373 A.D.

      “I am a soldier of Jesus Christ, the eternal king.
      From now I cease from this military service of your
      emperors, and I scorn to adore your gods of stone and
      wood, which are deaf and dumb images… I cast down my
      vine-staff and belt… and I refuse to serve as a
      soldier … I threw down my arms; for it was not seemly
      that a Christian man, who renders military service to
      the Lord Christ, should render it also by inflicting
      earthly injuries.” - Marcellus the centurion, 298 A.D.

      Pax,

      Pete

      “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” --a jewish proverb

      http://mail.yahoo.com