Anyone know about the new monastics?

  • spiritwrestler73
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      Happy New Year, brothers and sisters!
      I just read the latest issue of Sojourners magazine, and there is an
      article about a music/arts/religious festival that took place in
      Tennessee this past June, the PAPA Festival (People Against Poverty and
      Apathy), attended mostly by "new monastics". I guess it is a movement
      of young people trying to radically live Jesus's teachings, trying to
      live communally in urban/innercity/poor settings amongst the poor,
      living an antimaterialistic lifestyle....
      Anyone know anything more about these folks?
      Peace and Love,
      Jennifer
    • Adam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2007
        Thanks Jennifer, Happy New Year to you too.

        I did a google search for the PAPA festival, and it looks very
        interesting. The longer I spend on Earth, the more I am becoming
        convinced that "true Christianity" is about simple living, peace
        loving, nature loving, animal loving and God loving individuals living
        in harmony with no leaders (a bunch of clean living anarchic hippies,
        if you like). I believe that Man is destined to return to Eden.

        Jesus did say that the meek (i.e. unforceful, gentle) will inherit the
        Earth, not the political leaders, business leaders or Church leaders!

        Love and peace,

        Adam

        --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, "spiritwrestler73"