Believe and you will be saved?

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2006
      I've just come out of a cathedral following a meditation session (it
      was a Catholic cathedral, but it could have been a Protestant one in
      respect to what I am about to say). I sat in the church looking
      around at the relics, idols, statues and gold ornaments (Do not
      worship idols...ummm). Then I looked around at the people, as they
      made signs of imaginary crosses over their chests. I thought to
      myself what does this all mean to them. They are putting their faith
      in Jesus, I thought. A good thing, I thought...or is it?

      Saint Paul, the founder of the Christian church, taught a
      fundamentally basic message...Believe in Christ and you will be
      saved. Fair enough, but would this not mean that it is a pretty easy
      journey to Heaven? I mean if all we are to do is just believe then
      over 2 billion Christians (30% of the planet) are on their way to the
      Promised Land (including Mr. Bush and Mr. Blair). Or perhaps the
      Christian faith was corrupted by Paul, opening it up to the masses by
      this simple belief doctrine.

      When Jesus said leave your family and follow me. I don't think he
      meant just believe in him. Follow me means exactly that..."Do, as I
      do"...lead a life of simple living, voluntary poverty, purity of
      diet, nonviolence and celibacy (unless one is married). Now this is
      not a doctrine per se, but serves as an example of what homo sapiens
      need to be doing to move to the next evolutionary level, or get to
      Heaven. Now to do as Jesus did is tough...it takes discipline, work
      and faith. If simple living was the doctrine of Paul, Christianity
      would still be a religion of thousands, not billions.

      Love and peace,

      Adam