Ways To Find Enlightenment

  • Marion Doerflinger
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2006
      Hi Friends At LROJ!

      I became a part of you-all during this great period of enlightenment
      in my life that ran from March '05 to August '06 where I learned so
      much and settled so many things. The faith I emerged with is so
      simple and a sourch of so much peace whereas the faith I'd gone in
      with dictated that there should be a frantic, life-long search for
      truth. So, I'm really good now (I even seem to have master my
      bipolar problems for the nounce) and I'M skipping church on Sundays
      to dedicate my former time allowance for attending church to
      recording the momentous events of the last seventeen months before I
      turn my mind to other matters.

      It seems that there were so many guiding of the Holy Spirit during
      my Period of enlightenment where one line of thought led to another
      untoil I reached the conclusions I was needing to find. I could
      share my great discoveries with you but they are so simple that it
      would embarrass me to do so. Instead my focus is on the thought
      process you go through to discover and evaluate the truths that come
      your way during a search like mine and to invite you-all to share
      your insights regarding this subject. Maybe I will post several
      posts regarding this subject. Discovinmg this LORJ site was one of
      the many stepping stones that helped me find what I needed to find.
      Just seeing the words, "Lost Religion of Jesus" opened my mind up
      to many good things before I even visited you-all.

      So anyway, what are some of the tricks of the trade in uncovering
      truth? My favorite one is dropping the popular "All or nothing"
      mentality and adopting a "Pick and Choose" mentality in which you
      look upon the insight shared by another as a diamond mine with a lot
      of dirt and a few gems. Take the gems, leave the dirt, move on.
      Another good one is to adopt an almost fanatical devotion to
      actually seeing the trur=th when it is put before your eyes. This
      involves a willingness to reject even your childhood beliefes
      shouuld you find them to be false. I finally reached a point at
      which I was so willing to do this that I was actually shocked when
      my personal enlightenment came and, instead of finding a brand new
      faith, I basically re-discovered the veracity (Is that the right
      word?) of the faith I'd offered to surrender and things are so
      good! Finally there is the realization that each of us basically
      have to, at some point in life, reckon with the fact that everyone's
      religion is probaly different from everyone else's religion - we
      worship coporately but we commun with God solitarily. We all follow
      a Religion Of One - work out your own salvation. A group at a
      cultish chuch that I was friends with all told me "We all believe
      the same thing" and, now that I've moved on from there I feel so
      sorry for them. I tell them, "I found my truth in rejecting your
      truth." Sounds cruel, given their heart-felt desire to indoctrinate
      me with their All or Nothing attitude, but it is oh so true.

      I'm really sorry, you-all, that I have shared what I know to you
      great thinkers must be so very obvious but to a dumb country boy
      raised in a narrow minded church this is big stuff. Back in the
      Ozarks where I grew up a 70 year old man refused to visit his 50
      year old son when he was dying just because they disagreed on
      whether you should say, "I baptize you in the name of the Father,
      the Son, and the Holy Spiirt," or just "I baptize you in the name of
      Jesus Christ," when you baptize a new believer. So that's the
      midset I had to free myself from.

      Now I want to see some wise insights from you-all on not paticularly
      on your personal theologies (Although That would be great as well)
      but on the thjought processes that led you to thiose theologies.

      I love you-all

      Marion

      PS. I wrote a lot of stuff during my 17 months that I would like to
      share, some of it seems very obssessive to me now but it was
      neccessary to feel that way while I was writin it, you might find
      some gems in my writings. If you want you can check out my blog
      where I accumulated those writings it is at

      wwwignoranthillbillychristian.blogspot.com

      God Bless! Md
    • David Leon
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2006
        Didn't know you'd get me writing this much about this, Marion. But...here you go:

        Personally, I have noticed that the idea of meditation has led me through much that I've experienced, on my road through realizations and toward my own opinion, version, or experience of enlightenment that I've attained. In retrospect, I feel that I increasingly did a lot of meditation long before I realized that meditation was more or less the same across the board of religions, rather than different things for different people. In fact, I think my own parents, along with probably others in my life, must have mentioned the concept of meditation to me from a rather early age. They may have meant it in a christian sense, and in the sense of meditating largely on "the Scriptures." However, I think I unwittingly capitalized on the concept, and had it grow in my life and lead me through the stages I went through long before I ever realized that it was fundamentally the same practice as found in ANY "religion," even "Eastern" religions or spiritualities.

        That is, rather than a mystical sort of "practice," meditation is largely the simply concept of being mindful of things throughout your day. And, the concept can be expanded from there, into more specific ideas. However, I dont see that it ever looses its basic character.

        I may not "meditate on Scripture" solely, today. I dont even consider myself to be a christian, any longer. But in fact, I hardly ever DID try to restrict myself to christian scriptures, even when I was a christian. Nonetheless, the concept of meditating on ideas is more pure than simply sloshing one's way through ideas uncaringly or only for the purpose of proving one's self against empty, human, guilt-ridden standards. I think this concept (or 'practice') of meditating is what took me from this to that and that to this and so on, on my way to my "enlightenment." Course, that begs the question what I think enlightenment is, beyond simply any realization in one's life at least. But...I'll try not to ramble about that too much, beyond maybe a mention of what I think of enlightenment.

        So, "meditation": that's my answer. The key to "enlightenment." I dont think I'm the only one who has pointed that out, even if I say it in my own way, or capitalize on it in a slightly different way than the next enlightenment thinker. For a long time, I assumed there was something that I would call 'magical' or 'mystical' or even 'superstitious' to Eastern-like and Buddhist meditation. However, there is hardly anything 'magical' to meditation at ALL...no matter which human from which square mile on this planet talks about it. Meditation is meditation is meditation. It's a unifying, very human concept. Much more than I realized when I was younger.

        To quickly/abstractly define meditation and enlightenment:
        Meditation, in probably its purest form, is simply "thinking"..except without a pre-defined purpose, without rules, without agendas. Meditation most usually is a smaller form of that purer form.. until you understand or can practice or experience the purer form. In short, when you attain that level of meditation purely, and there ARE no shreds of "rules" or "agendas" or "purposes" predefining the purpose of your meditation, then you understand meditation truly and you are fundamentally "awakened," "free," or "enlightened."

        Since I believe that that IS Enlightenment, I think these same principles would also apply to any kind of realizations or freedoms or admittances or even any psychologically healthy new truths about your previously unconscious way of acting. Mini-enlightenments, if you will.

        [Sort of an informal footnote: I'll bet my kidneys that any reasonable look at neurology, and biology in general, will not disprove what I'm saying here, either. Look at it any way you want to, and I think the prognosis will stand up:  We try to stifle our minds, and our minds want to be more free to exercise their potential. That's what meditation really comes down to - doing something unconventional, if you follow it out - that is, acheiving an 'awakening' - freeing our minds in a way which society does not allow - in a way which is not acceptable. This defines the most prominent struggle within us. The basic root of the darkness or fear or uncertainty which we attach to "sin" and/or "evil." In a more logical-sounding sense, I invite anyone to disprove me. I just dont think they will be able to do any better than ganging up or doing virtual drive-bys that dont really prove anything except the fact that we're all angry and dont seem to want to figure out WHY. After doing other things for a while, I'll no doubt end up in medical school if I live long enough...so I can more directly study the neurological angle on many of these issues. Frankly, I think human religions boil down to struggles with our own minds and simultaneous struggles AGAINST the struggles that we have with our own minds - basically, being afraid to freely exercising our cerebrums. It describes the "emotions versus thoughts" experiences, etc.]

        blessings,
        Dave

      • Adam
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2006
          Hi Marion,

          Your post touched me.

          Much of what you said draws simularities on my path, regarding being
          struck by an incredible sense of truth and enlightenment over a
          relatively short period of time (mine took place over an 18 month
          period between 2002 and 2004). I absolutely see what you mean about
          how finding one truth led to another in a sort of chain
          of "concidental" events.

          Anyway all the best Marion, and God be with you,

          Adam

          Before I was blind and now I can see.