Man's Search for Meaning

  • Christian Anarchick
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31 1:11 PM
      While you're searching and researching, also read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl.  It's a quick but powerful read....you can probably read the entire book in much less than an hour. Let me know what you think about it.

      Blessings to all; have a great weekend!

    • izzetonal_mba
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2006
        Hi Christian Anarchick,
        now, there are two other books of Viktor E. Frank on the meaning in
        front of me on my desk whose name "The Unconscious God" and "The
        will to Meaning" other than Man's Search for Meaning.
        When I've just read your message here, I decided to talk with my
        wife who is preparing homework on "the search for meaning of human"
        as her post-graduate studies on Religion Psychology.
        I confess that I dislike searching what "others" could teach
        me "what is true or meaningful" for me. For that reason, I had not
        interested on my wife's homework BUT I will analyse her conclusions
        on Frankl's approaches and share with you here. But it is hard for
        me to read an english book quickly like in my mother language...

        To me, the search for meaning itself is the real meaning of being
        human who has conscious. And the true representative of such search
        of meaning is the Abraham who is given in Qur'an as the never seen
        alone man walking throughout unbearable tests of life-journey...

        peace to you all,
        izzet

        --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, Christian Anarchick
        <christiananarchick@...> wrote:

        > While you're searching and researching, also read "Man's Search
        for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. It's a quick but powerful
        read....you can probably read the entire book in much less than an
        hour. Let me know what you think about it.

        > Blessings to all; have a great weekend!
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        and save big.

      • izzetonal_mba
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2006
          Hi Christian Anarchick,
          I had seen your two messages posted a few days ago here. and I wrote
          a message to you and added a powerpoint presentation of my wife's
          homework about the human's search for meaning. BUT, interestingly
          again, my post did not reach to this forum and even I noticed that
          your two messages also deleted. may be there are some technical
          problems with this group's forum. since, it is changing time to time
          by itself(?) and I see the number of messages has been decreasing
          and deleted day by day.
          as to be a summary of my message to your two messages,
          about persian, don't worry, no problem. and also I like the persian
          language. and we (Turks) are their closest neighbour.
          about my wife's conclusion, she said she had just read a few
          seperate chapters from his books in order to use them as footnote in
          her homework. So, she may not be rihgt address to summarize what
          Frankl thinks about. Still, if you want, I may share them with you
          later in my suitable time.
          by the way, please tell me if I can make anything for your friends
          family here since I live in Istanbul. and wait any of u as a guest
          if you decide to visit Istanbul any time in the future:)
          take care of u all
          izzet

          --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, "izzetonal_mba"
          <izzetonal_mba@...> wrote:

          > Hi Christian Anarchick,
          > now, there are two other books of Viktor E. Frank on the meaning
          in
          > front of me on my desk whose name "The Unconscious God" and "The
          > will to Meaning" other than Man's Search for Meaning.
          > When I've just read your message here, I decided to talk with my
          > wife who is preparing homework on "the search for meaning of
          human"
          > as her post-graduate studies on Religion Psychology.
          > I confess that I dislike searching what "others" could teach
          > me "what is true or meaningful" for me. For that reason, I had not
          > interested on my wife's homework BUT I will analyse her
          conclusions
          > on Frankl's approaches and share with you here. But it is hard for
          > me to read an english book quickly like in my mother language...
          >
          > To me, the search for meaning itself is the real meaning of being
          > human who has conscious. And the true representative of such
          search
          > of meaning is the Abraham who is given in Qur'an as the never seen
          > alone man walking throughout unbearable tests of life-journey...
          >
          > peace to you all,
          > izzet
          >
          > --- In Lost_Religion_of_Jesus@yahoogroups.com, Christian Anarchick
          > <christiananarchick@> wrote:
          > >
          > > While you're searching and researching, also read "Man's Search
          > for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. It's a quick but powerful
          > read....you can probably read the entire book in much less than an
          > hour. Let me know what you think about it.
          > >
          > > Blessings to all; have a great weekend!
          > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > > New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your
          PC
          > and save big.

        • David Leon
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2006
            By the way, I finally got around to reading (actually "starting") Frankl's book..
            I went home to Washington state recently and brought a copy of the book back with me. I'm concurrently reading Paul Tillich's Biblical Religion and the Search for Ultimate Reality. I think I find Frankl's book both more interesting and easier to read, even though Tillich's is appreciably shorter.

            Anyway, I will perhaps share some thoughts someday. Apparently not being as quick of a reader as Anarchick is? I lack the ability to have finished Frankl's book in one day. The only way I could imagine myself doing that is if I were sitting at home ACTUALLY READING the book with nothing else to do...and no infant...and no music-creation inspiring me to hit the studio...until I were finished.

            peace,
            Dave

          • David Leon
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2006
              Has anyone ever read Jesus and Nonviolence by Walter Wink, or What Would You Do? by John Howard Yoder?

              Any impressions, summaries, comments?

              blessings,
              Dave

            • Hebrew4Jesus
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 17, 2006
                I have the Walter Wink book; I haven't had time to read it yet, but
                excerpts from him and his contemporary, William Stringfellow, lead me
                to believe they would be worth spending time with.