Re: Lost Religion of Jesus Digest Number 36

  • Blew J
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2006
      Just wanted to say I know my last email sounded angry: I'm not apologizing, because a lot of editing and re-writing and though went into what I was going to say. However, I'm not going to really say anymore on this subject as my mind isn't really made up yet either way (absolute pacifism vs. sometimes just reasons to fight), though Lewis' argument carried more weight for me than 100 arguments the other way. Anyway, I do believe in peace; it's a fruit of the spirit. But Shalom is much more than our English word "peace". It's inner peace, yes; but it's also lack of contention with God and with your fellow man; it's health, prosperity, tranquility, hominess, and then some! To live for peace doesn't always mean not fighting, but it does mean you pick your battles and learn from your mistakes and admit your powerlessness to reach the ideal (or commandment) of the most holy God and complete dependence on His work through the crucified yet risen incarnation, Jesus the Anointed King. It's very much like the 12 step programs, which starts with admitting our inability to be good (or at least 100% good) and how terrible that really is and how great God is for actually being 1000% good, and how merciful He is for coming and saving us who humbly call on Him for salvation - salvation not only in every area of our life, but of our life as a whole unit, greater than the sum of its parts... especially when you get into the kingdom as a whole and in humanity as a whole. We need to not define the Bible from any point of view, especially not the American one, but define everything from a biblical point of view. Anyway, I thank you all for your input into my struggle, and some of your insights were truly amazing. I look forward to our future discussions, if the Lord is willing that the future lasts... otherwise may He take us all who are already being saved Home. I pray shalom for us, as a whole.
      In Christ,
      Josh

      A man may have to die for his country, but no man must, in any exclusive sense, live for his country. He who surrenders himself without reservation to the temporal claims of a nation, or a party, or a class is rendering to Caesar that which, of all things, most emphatically belongs to God: himself.
      ~C.S. Lewis

    • Adam
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2006
        >However, I'm not going to really say anymore on this subject as my
        mind isn't really made up yet either way (absolute pacifism vs.
        sometimes just reasons to fight)

        Josh,

        There are other ways to fight for something without using fists, guns
        or tanks (as Gandhi and Francis of Assisi showed, for example). As
        Christopher said there is no such thing as a "just war" but there is
        such a thing as a "just cause". One can be right, but right in the
        wrong way. In fact this has been the problem with Christianity since
        Emperor Constantine I (some say even since Paul), when it became
        forced onto people through law, war or Church doctrines. Once this
        happens the Spirit is lost, and it becomes a tool of oppression and
        darkness, not liberty and light.

        Love and peace,

        Adam