RE: [Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion] Re: New Member

  • Sorcha
    Message 1 of 168 , Sep 1, 2004
      > Sorcha <sorcha@...> wrote:
      >
      > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:23:10 -0500, Lana Stachowski wrote:
      >>> I don't think I would even hear a word he said. I'd just
      >>> enjoy the visual.
      >
      >> I would swoon and break down if I found Jorge on my doorstep
      >> within 5 minutes or any time soon yes.
      >
      >> Oh no wait, hang on.
      >
      >> No. If we talk actor: give me David Wenham and I am a very happy
      >> puppy.
      >
      > Sadly, Maris, she was talking about Viggo, not me. NOBODY LIKES
      > ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Yes we do. But you know if you raise your eyebrow like that and that
      passionate latino kick in... I love it. Everybody loves Jorge, they are
      just blinded by Viggo, but deep down inside... Hey now wasn't there a
      sitcom like that?

      Sorcha
      --
      "If I stayed beside you, love would lead me, not wisdom."

      Beleg Cúthalion to Túrin Turambar, The Silmarillion, the Tale of Túrin
      Turambar.

      http://www.misarray.info/
    • rookwoods
      Message 168 of 168 , Jul 9, 2005
        --- In Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Arwen"
        <beasleysstarpupil@s...> wrote:
        > Hi, I am new to this group. Does anyone know anything more about the
        > Grey Havens? I always wondered what happened to Frodo when he went
        > there- if he died, or if the Havens were a place of immortality, kind
        > of like Heaven. Thanks,

        Oh drat, now where did I read about this.. I think someone may have
        written and asked him about it and Carpenter put it in the Letters
        book. I know I read it somewhere or other. Scrolls of Orthanc? that
        site seems to have gone away. Ah! Must have been LotR Library
        <http://www.lotrlibrary.com/agesofarda/beyondgreyhavens.asp>

        First of the Grey Havens is the port north and west of the Shire,
        in M-e. It has no immortality attributed to it other than some Elves
        lived there and worked the port for those sailing West. Eldamar is the
        main land where they all sailed to. Different place entirely, and not
        on the M-e globe anymore (take the 'straight road' to get there,
        rather than curving around the globe).

        But your actual question about Frodo. It's a common question and
        often misunderstood because Tolkien left it so vague. Essentially, and
        this is the nut of the whole problem with the Numenorians, simply
        being in Eldamar did not make one immortal, it's just very hard for
        people who never die to live among people who age and die so quickly
        (that's why they often consider immortality to be a 'curse'). And of
        course being essentially immortal, they liked living in the vacinity
        of the Valar and Maiar.
        So if simply living there does not make one immortal, and the Valar
        have stated that they cannot change "Eru's Gift" of mortality, then
        Frodo cannot even be made immortal in return for his sacrifice.

        What it amounts to is that for his role as Ring Bearer, he was
        granted permission to move there for his healing. He would of course
        eventually die, but in a land basically without time that could be a
        very long while.

        So why was Sam or Bilbo allowed over? Partly also because they were
        ring bearers, but likely to help with Frodo's recovery. Again, they
        would eventually also die. Now as to Gimli..... ah, that's where he
        got vague and I think just caught up in the whole concept, because it
        doesn't make too much sense given the parameters Tolkien set himself.

        So, does "Frodo Live"? who knows! we don't know how long his cure
        takes.

        -Judy