Re: [Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion] [off topic] Movie recommendations (was Re: Trivia for Tuesday)

  • Alysia H.
    Message 1 of 82 , Jun 1, 2004
      I have next to nothing in my movie collection!!!
      Well...in my PERSONAL movie collection, I do have
      nothing (my family has a few...)! Here's my list (off
      the top of my head) of movie's I'd LIKE to own!

      LOTR 1,2,3
      The Rocky Horror Picture Show
      Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
      Edward Scissorhands
      Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert
      Master and Commander: Far Side of the World
      Benny and Joon
      The Big Lebowski
      Ed Wood
      Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (when it comes
      out)
      Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
      Being John Malkovich
      Braveheart
      Gladiator
      Moulin Rouge
      This is Spinal Tap

      Many more, but I can think of them!

      -Alysia

      --- isilelensar@... wrote:
      > I was gonna keep quiet on this one, but I'll just
      > list a few of the movies in my collection. It'll
      > probably tip y'all off on what kind of movies I
      > like... ;-) These are mostly DVDs but I have a lot
      > of VHS too...
      >
      > LOTR - 1&2
      > Pirates OTC
      > Harry Potter - 1&2
      > Star Wars - 1&2 (4, 5, & 6 in VHS)
      > Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
      > The Breakfast Club
      > Center Stage
      > Bring It On
      > Caddyshack
      > Black Beauty
      > Desparately Seeking Susan
      > The Musketeer
      > The Man In The Iron Mask
      > Anna & The King
      > Monty Python & The Holy Grail
      > Atlantis
      > Sleeping Beauty
      >
      > I have more, I'm sure, but they are at home while
      > I'm at work.
      > On VHS I have:
      >
      > Emma
      > Sense & Sensibility
      > Ever After
      > Kate & Leopold
      > Drumline
      > Dune (Sci-Fi version)
      > Children Of Dune (Sci-Fi version)
      > Disney movies galore
      > Rain Man
      >
      > Again, I'm blanking, but they're also at home while
      > I'm stuck at work. *sigh*
      >
      > My list is fairly huge, though... ;-)
      >
      > Isil

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Alysia H.
      Message 82 of 82 , Jun 8, 2004
        --- Sorcha <sorcha@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Alysia H.
        > wrote:
        > > I actually just figured out how much I like
        > philosopy
        > > after reading a book by the name of Zen and the
        > Art of
        > > Motorcycle Maintenance...it's about 10% story, 90%
        > > philosophy, and quite interesting! This
        > introduced me
        > > to the author's philosophy (a little insane, but
        > that
        > > was the basis of the story!) and others,
        > particulary
        > > Kant, Nietzsche, Plato, Socrates, Hume, and
        > Aristotle.
        > > Apparently it was based on the author's life,
        > which I
        > > find odd, but it was a trip, nonetheless. He took
        > > rather anti-Greek persepective near the end of the
        > > story, claiming that they were responsible for the
        > > whole 'mythos over logos' thing. Uhh, anyway,
        > I'll
        > > look and see if I can find that book at my
        > library!
        >
        > So it was a kinda road story/biography? I have 3
        > books called
        > the Tsao of Pooh, Tigger's little book of bounce and
        > Winni-the-poh on problem solving ;)

        Yeah, pretty much! The 'story' part of it is a road
        trip from Missouri to the west coast (driving
        relatively near where I live) via motorcycle with his
        son. All the while musing and attempting to remember
        his past live (prior to...shock treatment, perhaps?
        Which drastically changed his personality,
        apparently).

        > Oh and I think Calvin & Hobs are philosophy books as
        > well :)
        >
        > Ok.... LOL.
        >
        > Anyway, why I react.. I came across this quote:
        > "Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of
        > our
        > intelligence by means of language."
        >
        > Ludwig Wittgenstein

        Yeah, good quote! This was discussed quite
        thoroughly...the use of dialectic, that is.

        > This one is quite true as well:
        > "Without freedom from the past, there is no freedom
        > at all,
        > because the mind is never new, fresh, innocent."
        > Krishnamurti
        >
        > Sorcha
        > --

        Philosophy is fun!