Re: PJ ON SARUMAN DELETION

  • Pie Adasa
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
      i am very disappointed also for the deletion of saruman in rotk, he's
      also a major character in lotr! cant believe pj!!

      --- In Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-
      Discussion@yahoogroups.com, "sandyben69" <sandyben69@y...> wrote:
      > I have to say I agree with Zodas.. I thought TTT was pretty badly
      > mauled by the Aragorn battle scene with the Wargs, and then Faramir
      > taking Frodo to Osgiliath.. Peter complained he couldn't fit some
      > things in, but then added this crap.. I would have much rather seen
      > LESS of Faramir, but have it be correct, and not had the Warg
      battle
      > at all, and have the confrontation at Orthanc complete..
      >
      > Leaving out Tom Bombadil was OK, he wasn't really a major force,
      and
      > leaving out the Scouring of the Shire, while disappointing, is
      > understandable.. and having various characters say lines that
      others
      > actually said, or in different locations doesn't bother me alot, ,
      > either, but, leaving out things so you can ADD other things that
      > didn't happen in the book at all - simply making things up out of
      > your own imagination - thats not OK.
      >

      > --- In Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Zack"
      > <zodas_the_great@y...> wrote:
      > > Good for Christopher Lee. This is abolutely propstorous. The
      way
      > > see it is there are 2 enemies in LOTR. Sauron and Saruman. How
      > can
      > > they just not deal with Saruman. So what if the Ents tore up
      > > Orthanc, he is still a powerful wizard and a force to be reckoned
      > > with. The first two films build Sarumans character up to what
      you
      > > think is going to be the final showdown between Saruman and
      Gandalf
      > > (like in the book), but now they just delete Sarumans character
      > > without any sort of finale because Peter Jackson cant edit a
      movie
      > > right!!! Christopher Lee should raise hell over this. He has
      been
      > > nothing but supportive of the project, he is a huge fan of
      Tolkien,
      > > he is one of the more legendary actors on the set, and he played
      > > Saruman to perfection. He deserves way more than this. I
      accepted
      > > the Scouring being edited out, but with that gone they needed the
      > > confrontation at Orthanc!!! I absolutley do not understand how
      > Peter
      > > Jackson can think the decision to have Faramir fart around for 2
      > > hours uneventfully is a good idea, and to keep one of the most
      > > important characters in the film is a bad one. If the Saruman
      > scenes
      > > do not fit in ROTK you find a way to make them fit, you dont just
      > > delete them!!! At this point I wouldnt be surprised if he
      omitted
      > > the Battle of the Pelennor since there was already a big fight in
      > > TTT. Anythings possible with Peter Jacksons Lord of the Rings!!!
      > >
      > > -Zodas the Great
      > >

      > > > this is true... pj made a press release and said that they had
      > > cut
      > > > this out cause of time (it will be added back in for ee) also,
      > > > christopher lee apparently didn't even know and just found
      out...
      > > not
      > > > very happy about it... apparently he's not even going to the
      > > premiere.
      > > >
      > > > robyn
      > > >
      > > > --- In Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion@yahoogroups.com,
      Sorcha

      Take
      > > > what
      > be
      > > > taken."
    • Sorcha
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
        On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:29:22 -0000, Pie Adasa wrote:
        > i am very disappointed also for the deletion of saruman in
        > rotk, he's also a major character in lotr! cant believe pj!!

        Just wait untill you find out what else didn't made the
        movie....

        I'm still pretty sad about that.....

        Sorcha

        --
        "If you give what can be taken, you are not really giving. Take what
        you are given, not what you want to be given. Give what cannot be taken."
        --Idries Shah
      • giddy900
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
          I would have much rather seen
          > LESS of Faramir, but have it be correct

          good way to put it- i agree!
          *j
        • Pie Adasa
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2003
            what else that didnt made to the movie? email me if u dont want to
            spoil the others.

            --- In Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion@yahoogroups.com, Sorcha
            <sorcha.eirelynn@g...> wrote:
            > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:29:22 -0000, Pie Adasa wrote:
            > > i am very disappointed also for the deletion of saruman in
            > > rotk, he's also a major character in lotr! cant believe pj!!
            >
            > Just wait untill you find out what else didn't made the
            > movie....
            >
            > I'm still pretty sad about that.....
            >
            > Sorcha
            >
            > --
            > "If you give what can be taken, you are not really giving. Take
            what
            > you are given, not what you want to be given. Give what cannot be
            taken."
            > --Idries Shah
          • Jonathan knowles
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
              http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=fahaig

              here's a game to play if you ever get bored of LOTR or
              just want a break.

              And yes, it is a pity the one of the greatest evil
              characters was deleted!

              Jonathan

              Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
              http://companion.yahoo.com/
            • sandyben69
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2003
                BTW, I was just watching the TTT EE yesterday, and one of the writers
                was explaining why they did Faramir the way they did, and I have to
                admit it made some sense. In the books, Faramir doesn't go through
                any growth, he is already "one cool dude", but you know that because
                Tolkein can take the time to develop him in a few paragraphs, and
                with a pretty lengthy dialog with Frodo and Sam, (and by having Frodo
                and Sam implicitly trust him without really knowing why).. all of
                that is kind of tough to do in a movie, so they wanted to show
                Faramir being lured by the ring initially, but be wise enough to
                recognize its evil influence and deny it in the end, no matter what
                the cost to himself in the eyes of his father.. actually not a bad
                explanation really.. and then they had the actor on there, and he
                said he actually read the script before he read the book, and when he
                read the book he went to the writers and said, "Hey, this guy isn't
                like this at all, are you sure you want to do it like this???" and
                they decided to go with it anyways.. it was obvious listening to
                them, that they had put a lot of thought into it, and that they knew
                fans of the books wouldn't like it much..

                BUT, even though this all makes sense, I still think it was a
                mistake, and they could have stuck closer to the book and been better
                off, ,and wouldn't have lost the movie audience either. In the books,
                its obvious that Faramir knows a lot more about the ring than he lets
                on (remember, he was one of the few in Gondor who listened to and
                trusted Gandalf).. they could have revealed to the movie audience,
                and to Frodo and Sam, that Faramir had already heard (or had
                guessed) quite a bit about the ring from Gandalf, and had decided
                long ago that he would never be tempted by such a thing.. and then
                after hearing what happened to Boromir from Frodo and Sam, he could
                have said something like, "my fear of this thing has proven all too
                true, would that my brother had listened more to the councils of
                Gandalf and been less driven to power" or something like that.

              • Sorcha
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                  On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 04:38:09 -0000, Pie Adasa wrote:
                  > what else that didnt made to the movie? email me if u dont
                  > want to spoil the others.

                  >From book V
                  Chapter 8
                  >From book VI