Re: concepts of evil (long)

  • ladyarwen4ever
    Message 1 of 174 , Jun 28, 2005
      --- In Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion@yahoogroups.com, "rookwoods"
      <trekona@o...> wrote:
      > --- In Lord-of-the-Rings-Group-Discussion@yahoogroups.com,
      > > I would like to encourage you to visit this website, which answers
      > > some of our questions about good and evil. it is not lord of the
      > > rings related, but i encourage all who seek the truth to visit
      >
      > But, then it doesn't really relate to the actual discussion from
      > which we've been a little sidetracked. The question isn't really what
      > is "Truth" (because that way lies many many arguments that don't
      > belong on this board), but what was *JRRT* presenting as his concepts
      > of Good or Evil in Middle-earth. Not even necessarily Catholic dogma,
      > but what he felt it was.
      >
      > -Judy

      Judy, I realize that this discussion is about the Lord of the Rings.
      But some subjects that get brought up (like evil, even in Middle-Earth
      context) bring up hard questions. It seems like several people here
      have hard questions, and the website I put down there is excellent for
      anyone who wants real answers. (Again, please take a look at the
      website, which is http://www.matthiasmedia.com.au/2wtl/, and please,
      if you have ANY questions, please email me at
      arwenevenstar13@....) Also, no-one has replied to my post
      about morality and the creator of morality. I am extremely curious and
      eager for any responses, and I beg you all to look at my post again,
      and respond to it. Listen: I know this is about LOTR, but concepts
      like good and evil are NOT just in the books JRR Tolkien wrote. These
      are important discussions that have major impact on the way we live
      and think on a daily basis. Talking about good and evil ONLY in the
      Lord of the Rings is like having a discussion about elephants ONLY in
      the story Dumbo. You won't get very far because Dumbo didn't exist.
      I'm not saying ELEPHANTS dont exist- they do; but DUMBO didn't. Good
      and Evil exist, but talking about them ONLY in the fantasy world of
      LOTR won't get us anywhere...at least not if we intend on having
      conversations that really mean something and impact our thinking.
      So if you don't want us discussing good and evil in the world we live
      in, then please continue this highly interesting discussion with me by
      emailing me at the address I listed above. I will respond to all
      emails as soon as I get them.
      -Lindsey
    • Alysia H.
      Message 174 of 174 , Jul 18, 2005