Re:Dr. Myers, our speaker on November 8

  • Richard A Myers
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
      Take my word--Dave Myers is a good man!
      Dick Myers

      Dr. Dave <Myers> will speak to the Florida Coordinating Council for
      the Deaf and Hard of Hearing on Thursday, Nov. 8 at The
      Villages in central Florida. I am not a member of this group,
      but follow them (a groupie) from meeting to meeting speaking
      out on different subjects at their public forums.

      Mostly I touch on t-coils and looping technology hoping to get
      the Council to pay more attention to this subject. Having "the"
      expert on looping come to visit is a sign of success. I am
      excited and look forward to hearing him and perhaps having
      a chance to chat.

      Judy Martin
    • Judy G. Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2007
        I had the good fortune to share breakfast with Dr. Myers
        on the morning of the 8th along with my husband and
        Joan Haber, who is chair of the Florida Coordinating
        Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (FCCDHH). It
        was the FCCDHH which invited Dr. Dave to speak at its
        quarterly meeting held in The Villages.

        It was certainly an honor for me to break bread with
        such an expert in the field of looping technology.
        Later in the morning, we heard him speak to the full
        Council and other guests, as he presented an excellent
        PowerPoint presentation which described progress in
        other states. He also emphasized the fact that some
        European countries are lightyears ahead of the U.S. in
        this respect. Many on the Council had not been fully
        cognizant of this techology, so, if nothing else, they
        are now aware.

        If you don't know, The Villages is a 55+ community
        in central Florida with 60,000 residents, a good place
        to begin an initiative. I don't have the exact details
        yet, but the plan is to approach the Commissioners
        of the county. This information came out of a public
        comment period which is always part of the quarterly
        meeting.

        The FCCDHH meets all over the state and the next
        meeting will be in Daytona Beach in March.

        Judy Martin, Jacksonville
        VP, Hearing Loss Assn. of Florida

        -- In Loops_and_Telecoils@yahoogroups.com, "Judy G. Martin"