Re: Legal Status of Using Wireless Mics on "700 MHz Band"?

  • Shera
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
      Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm sharing the information
      with the planning committee of my HLAA-chapter and also with HLAA-
      National.

      I'll post again and let you know how our situation got resolved.

      Thanks again,

      Shera Katz
      HLAA-Manhattan Chapter (NY)

      --- In Loops_and_Telecoils@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Spackeen"
      <sspackeen@...> wrote:

      > (*) some answers/comments below.
      >

      > Skip Spackeen
      >
      > Sales Department
      >
      > AV Innovations Inc.
      >
      > Pro Audio/Video Special Systems Contractor
      >
      > (520) 325-4206
      >
      > sspackeen@...
      >
      > www.avinnovations.com
      >

      > _____

      Mics on
      > "700 MHz Band"?
      >

      > Thanks Skip.
      >
      > This isn't my field. Do these programs exist to take care of
      > consumer necessity or consumer preference?
      >
      > (*) Well, their real purpose is to grab market share during the
      crazy
      > changeover period.! Each would like you to retire the competitor's
      product
      > and sell you their own, and the discount is there as an incentive.
      Most
      > will require you to return the older units to qualify for the
      credit.

      > In other words will it be illegal for someone to operate a
      > wireless system in the "700 MHz Band" without a license after
      > February 17th (DTV transition deadline) or the new deadline if it's
      > delayed?
      >
      > (*) Technically you will not be allowed to broadcast on those
      frequencies,
      > depending upon whether Congress moves forward or stalls the
      changeover
      > period, and this is being debated right now.
      >
      > (*) In my estimation, however, nearly ALL people with affected
      frequencies
      > will ignore this, and simply take their chances. Your wireless
      transmitters
      > and receivers unit cannot be rendered inoperable by the change in
      frequency
      > range "ownership" - so many will simply wait and see if they start
      > receive interference. I don't know what legal exposure that may
      generate or
      > whether their will be any policing. I find it hard to believe the
      FCC will
      > enforce this, but I cannot speak to that directly.
      >
      > (*) The recommendation, of course, is to move to another frequency
      and your
      > local professional company should be able to help you save some
      money
      > through the vendor incentive programs.
      >
      > Or will it just be more difficult to get good results? The
      > difficulty ranging somewhere between inconvenient to impossible
      > depending upon how many wireless telephone users there are in the
      > geographic area?
      >
      > (*) This is the likely scenario, yes.
      >
      > My chapter did work with a professional vendor in this area. We had
      > to for several reasons. First we felt obligated because we were
      > using money contributed by donors. Secondly, because we had always
      > intended to donate the system to a branch of the New York Public
      > Library so that many people could benefit from the system. The
      > library, understandably, insisted on a licensed contractor with
      > insurance to do the work.
      >
      > We're a small group with a small budget, but still I thought that
      we
      > were talking with several vendors knowledgeable in this area. No
      one
      > mentioned this frequency issue.
      >
      > FWIW, I called the FCC earlier this afternoon. I was transferred to
      > the ULS (Universal Licensing System) Hotline. A rep in that dept.
      > told me to get the FCC rule part number off the back of the unit
      and
      > then she would be able to give me more information.
      >
      > I won't have access to the system until Tues night, Feb 3rd. In the
      > meantime I also called Gemini (the manufacturer) and asked them for
      > that information. They said they would call me back. I haven't
      > found the company to be helpful however, so I'm not actually
      > expecting to hear back from
      > them.
      >
      > (*) Gemini might be sold more through retail stores and the
      Internet so may
      > be more interested in volume sales than professional client
      relationships.
      > Please, nobody take that personally or flame me for this thought!
      We have