Janice Schacter has a "Letter to the Editor" in today's New York Times

  • Jschacter
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2008

      Dear Friends-

      Janice Schacter has has a "Letter to the Editor" in today's The New York Times magazine. We are excited to share this with you.

      LETTER

      Gross Offense on Disability

      Published: December 16, 2008

      To the Editor:

      Re “Paterson’s Office Is Not Amused by ‘Saturday Night Live’ Skit” (news article, Dec. 15):

      No one would ever think it was appropriate to make fun of a person because of his or her race, religion or sexual orientation, so why is it still acceptable to find humor in a person’s disability?

      It is time to end this last form of discrimination. Artificial barriers will never cease until we stop connecting people’s physical disability with their intelligence and ability to perform in the workplace. Janice Schacter

      New York, Dec. 15, 2008

      The writer is chairwoman of the Hearing Access Program.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/opinion/l17hearing.html?ref=opinion

      Best,

      Janice L. Schacter
      Chair
      Hearing Access Program
      Consortium of:
      Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
      Hearing Loss Association of America
      The League for the Hard of Hearing

      T: 212-988-8099
      F: 212-988-0306

      THIS TRANSMISSION MAY BE  PRIVILEGED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
       INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON(S) NAMED ABOVE.  ANY OTHER DISTRIBUTION,
      RE-TRANSMISSION, COPYING OR DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  IF YOU HAVE
      RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY ME IMMEDIATELY BY
      TELEPHONE OR RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THIS FILE/MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.