Looping restaurants or dining areas

  • Loretta Butler
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hi All, Been mighty quiet on this list. Please do share if you have
      any looping news in your area.

      I had a request from an assisted living place in Tucson about looping
      their restaurant within the facility. It is a large facility for
      retirees, and it has its own restaurant. I have had other inquires
      from residents of other assisted living places. They say they cannot
      hear the people at their table in the dining room because of the noise,
      and they wonder if a loop would work in that situation.

      Any comments welcome.

      Loretta Butler
    • Randy Collins
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        With all the Governor's recent attention to all things related to aging
        we can only hope that private and public entitites will get serious
        about providing accessibility to their clients and consumers. My hat
        off to any facility that is taking the initiative to address the issue.
        In assistive living accessibility isn't just a quality of life issue it
        is a health issue. And it can be a very serious issue.

        Maybe there should be state hearing accessibility standards for
        licensing nursing homes and assistive living facilities.

        --- In Loops_and_Telecoils@yahoogroups.com, "Loretta Butler"
        <lbutler864@...> wrote:

        > Hi All, Been mighty quiet on this list. Please do share if you
        have
        > any looping news in your area.
        >
        > I had a request from an assisted living place in Tucson about looping
        > their restaurant within the facility. It is a large facility for
        > retirees, and it has its own restaurant. I have had other inquires
        > from residents of other assisted living places. They say they cannot
        > hear the people at their table in the dining room because of the
        noise,
        > and they wonder if a loop would work in that situation.
        >
        > Any comments welcome.
        >
        > Loretta Butler

      • Michael Kaplan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
          Re: [Loops_and_Telecoils] Looping restaurants or dining areas Loretta -

          Pretty sure looping won’t help in this situation — not if the goal is for people at one table to hear each other better, in the midst of a noisy room filled with tables. Looping will work is there’s a single speaker (as in a lecture) or a few speakers (conference or presentation) and the audience is listening to one conversation at a time.

          It sounds like what the Assistive Living facility needs to do is examine their lunchroom and improve the overall acoustics, using sound absorbing materials on the walls, ceiling and floor, if possible. This will lower the ambient noise and make conversations easier to understand. Other tips include smaller tables (puts the folks closer to each other); brighter, even lighting (to aid in subconscious “lipreading”); and eliminating background music and strong backlighting.

          Hope this is helpful...

          Michael Kaplan
          Hearing Loss Association of Los Angeles
          Co-Chair, California Hearing Loss Conference (Feb 2009)

          Hi All,   Been mighty quiet on this list.  Please do share if you have
          any looping news in your area.

          I had a request from an assisted living place in Tucson about looping
          their restaurant within the facility.  It is a large facility for
          retirees, and it has its own restaurant.  I have had other inquires
          from residents of other assisted living places.  They say they cannot
          hear the people at their table in the dining room because of the noise,
          and they wonder if a loop would work in that situation.

          Any comments welcome.

          Loretta Butler

        • Paul Lurie
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007

            What would be in the input into such a restaurant loop?   How would you  microphone the speakers you want to hear at the table?

            Paul Lurie

            <lbutler864@...> wrote:

            > Hi All, Been mighty quiet on this list. Please do share if you
            have
            > any looping news in your area.
            >
            > I had a request from an assisted living place in Tucson about looping
            > their restaurant within the facility. It is a large facility for
            > retirees, and it has its own restaurant. I have had other inquires
            > from residents of other assisted living places. They say they cannot
            > hear the people at their table in the dining room because of the
            noise,
            > and they wonder if a loop would work in that situation.
            >
            > Any comments welcome.
            >
            > Loretta Butler

          • Randy Collins
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
              You are correct, of course. Looping a dining room so that people might understand their
              table mates at meal times would be a useless endeavor.

              Every time they ask me to talk about and demonstrate assistive technology at assistive
              living facilities everyone is usually assembled in the dining room - and of course they can't
              hear much of what I am saying.

              Reading Loretta's post I immediately thought of guest speakers in the dining room. The
              greater problem, of course, and one that we hear about quite often is meal time
              conversation in the dining room. It's a huge issue and the solutions are not always
              workable.

              Probably many people with hearing loss in a.l. facilities are relatively new to hearing loss
              and it's a safe bet many do not have good hearing habits. Not facing the sun, sitting away
              from the noise, one person talking at a time and so on probably doesn't happen often by
              design. In fact, I've often heard that people are assigned permanent seats. I can't
              imagine.

              There is a 98% chance that staff doesn't know anything about hearing loss. Keeping
              unnecessary noise to a minimum isn't a priority. Sometimes it is just the opposite. I've
              been to senior centers, assistive living facilities, nursing home and the like where they
              have entertainment at meal times. That's a horrible idea in my book. Forget desperately
              needed socialization. I've been to more than one dining area where they played music.
              Several times I've seen a TV blasting away during lunch (it always seems to be staff that is
              most interested in the TV program). Once I saw people trying to eat lunch while some old
              fellow stood on a platform and played a trumpet like Harry James. Hell, it may have been
              Harry James. Probably not, but he was l-o-u-d. No one was able to hear any conversation
              while the trumpeter was playing but it didn't stop almost everyone from trying to talk. It
              was horrible.