Personal listeners

  • John Woodgate
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2017
      Hand-held and similar ALDs have been given various names, which have also
      been applied to other devices. I propose the name 'personal listener' for a
      product having a microphone, a small battery-operated amplifier and
      earpieces.

      The new ANSI/CTA 2051 2017 standard 'Personal sound amplification
      performance criteria' describes BTE and ITE devices that are, in my opinion,
      hearing aids in all but name. As such, they have no advantages over hearing
      aids except, perhaps, lower price. In particular, they work only for speech
      sources within 3 m at most.

      Devices that resemble a body-worn aid, however, can 'reach out' further, as
      they can have much more gain (amplification) before acoustic feedback from
      earpieces to microphone sets a limit. Also, they can have larger batteries,
      which can reduce running costs.

      Comments, please.

      With best wishes DESIGN IT IN! OOO - Own Opinions Only
      www.jmwa.demon.co.uk J M Woodgate and Associates Rayleigh England

      Sylvae in aeternum manent.
    • Donald Groff
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2017
        I have gotten into heated arguments about terminology and my preference for "hearing assistance devices" over "assistive listening devices".  To me, the name "personal listener" has a vaguely clandestine ring to it, although it certainly makes better sense than "Pocketalker".

        I hesitate to suggest anything as corny as "hearing helper", but  perhaps somebody could concoct a word with Latin or Greek roots that would convey the same sense.

        Don Groff

        On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 2:30 PM, 'John Woodgate' jmw1937@... [Loops_and_Telecoils] <Loops_and_Telecoils@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

      • Julie Olson
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2017

          I hear you Don.  Terminology gets very crazy.  A good example of a change that has made a difference is that we are now calling ‘audio loops’ “Hearing Loops”.  Before we were arguing about audio vs induction. Hearing Loop is a much better term. Thanks to David Myers for that.

          The people who need to know about these technologies deserve the simplest terms possible.  Then, the acronyms make it even crazier. ALD has been used for ‘assistive or assisted listening device for decades. ALS for Assistive Listening System.  I’m betting that changing that piece might be more difficult than changing the full terminology.

          I would prefer to be considered ‘partially deaf’ rather than hard of hearing, but lost that battle years ago.

          Julie Olson

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2017

            I think there is always a change of language as a technology moves from 'rare and technical' to 'familiar'. In Britain, we had to use 'audio-frequency induction-loop systems' (AFILS) for regulatory reasons, but of course that abbreviation doesn't work in other languages and the term is too wordy and technical for the general public.

            The problem with 'ALD' and 'ALS', and many other such terms, is that they have been used to mean different things. To produce a standard definition, we need a term that has not been widely used, especially with different meanings, yet is simple and easily understood by non-technical people. The choice is rather limited.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2017

                Get the NYC community to ask for 'induction' to be changed to 'hearing'

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2017
                  Also I live in New York and of course stop all of the taxi cabs with the loops.   Most drivers do not even know what the loop is.   They need to be educated about the loops installed in their vehicles.

                  Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2017

                    That's one of the reasons we wrote IEC TR 63079. It's hot on the need for training people in charge of hearing loops and also on monitoring and maintenance.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2017
                      Agreed