Truck end plug problem

  • Desiree
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1 8:02 AM
      Aghh!

      Trailer light problem has not been an easy fix. We ruled out the tail light itself, the trailer end 7 way and the actual truck 7 way plug. The green wire is dead - there's no power going to the green wire at the plug end.

      Is this something that requires a whole new wiring harness? I called a local trailer shop and they said that since it's a Ford factory installation, Ford needs to fix it. I can't see that being the case.

      All the other wires work except the green one.

      Any ideas out there?

      Thanks!
    • kench@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1 9:02 AM
        My ford has a second fuse box under the hood (engine compartment). Check those fuses.

        From: Desiree <licountrygirl@...>
        Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 15:02:11 +0000
        To: <LongIslandCamping@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [LongIslandCamping] Truck end plug problem

        Aghh!

        Trailer light problem has not been an easy fix. We ruled out the tail light itself, the trailer end 7 way and the actual truck 7 way plug. The green wire is dead - there's no power going to the green wire at the plug end.

        Is this something that requires a whole new wiring harness? I called a local trailer shop and they said that since it's a Ford factory installation, Ford needs to fix it. I can't see that being the case.

        All the other wires work except the green one.

        Any ideas out there?

        Thanks!

      • Desiree Della Rocca
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1 9:21 AM
          I found that information right before you emailed me - and Oh my god, if the friggin' fuse isn't blown! I was looking at the other fuse panel and that fuse #22 is fine but the one in the engine compartment #22 is blown!!!! I am gonna run out and get a new one and since I don't have a tester,  I gotta wait til my dad comes home to test it.

          Thank you thank you thank you for emailing me!

           Desiree

          My ford has a second fuse box under the hood (engine compartment) . Check those fuses.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1 10:19 AM
              Hey Kurt - I was unaware of a second fuse panel in the engine compartment and the fuse was blown! Did a light check just now and all is well with the world. Of course, I don't have a socket connector on the truck now to check it with the trailer, but I'm sure the blown fuse was the problem.

              Thanks!

               Desiree

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1 10:26 AM
                Thank you thank you thank you - replaced the RIGHT #22 fuse and I am now getting juice to the wire! Of course, since we took the socket connector off, I can't plug it into the trailer yet but I took the wire tester to the wire and it lit up!! Success! (watch, now it wont work on the trailer end!! AGK!!)

                We'll get the new connector on by the weekend and all should be fine in my rig/tv world. I needed a new connector anyway, the door broke off the old one!

                Again, many thanks

                 Desiree

                My ford has a second fuse box under the hood (engine compartment) . Check those fuses.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9 4:47 PM
                  So glad to report the trailer is now fixed completely and in ready to go condition!

                  Anyone going camping soon?

                  We're going June 25th!!

                • kench@optonline.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9 4:53 PM
                    Annual dad day trip to shinnecock is our next one.

                    From: Desiree <licountrygirl@...>
                    Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 23:47:31 +0000
                    To: <LongIslandCamping@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: [LongIslandCamping] Re: Truck end plug problem