RE: [LongAndShortRomanceReviews] Re: Friday Favorites from Judy's Twisted Mind: long weekends

  • Jacquie Rogers
    Message 1 of 40 , Sep 1, 2008

      LOL.  My daughter’s always an asset as booksignings, that's for sure, especially since I'm not exactly the meet-and-greet type in situations like that.  It's so hard!

      Best of luck to you on your signing, Marianne!

      Jacquie

      Faery Special Romances  (See the Book Video)

      Royalties donated to Children’s Tumor Foundation, ending Neurofibromatosis through research

      Website *** Myspace *** Twitter *** Faery World

      Oct. 2008: Down Home Ever Lovin’ Mule Blues (See the Book Video)

      Message 40 of 40 , Sep 1, 2008
        Pauline Baird Jones www
        There have always been very hot writers even before erotica moved into romance territory.
        Susan Johnson and Beatrice Small wrote extremely hot.  Susan Forester was another.  Most
        readers didn't complain, because the hot was within the romance, you knew it was a romance,
        and the language wasn't a problem.

        As I was trying to sell my books I would have been consider "hot".  Generally now I will still
        get "hot" a review, but it's more often "sensual".  From the time I signed my first contract
        three years ago, and the release of my first book a year later, the whole definition of "hot"
        shifted drastically.  A Restless Knight had one review removed 1/2 star because it was too
        hot.  Same day I got another review from another website and they remove 1/2 star because
        it wasn't hot enough.  How you do address that?

        My books are not erotica, they are typical historical packaging.  I just think people are assuming
        all romance is now erotica, which is hurting.  That you are seeing these very resistant and vocal
        reactions in public, tells me this now new, but people getting fed up and are
        finally speaking up.
        With Erotica covers getting more tame trying to sell to romance readers,
        and romance covers
        heating up, this confusion is going to keep driving some readers away
        unfortunately.

        Short of a rating system on books, so readers know the level of sex and language, similar to
        what they have in movies and television, I am not sure how to address this.

        Deborah

        Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 1:52 AM
        Subject: RE: [LongAndShortRomanceReviews] Re: romance reading choices

        Most of the ladies I spoke with really enjoy sex scenes as long as 1) it wasn’t gratuitous, and 2) the author doesn’t use language they consider too graphic.  Books from 5 years ago is what they want and buy at garage sales.  So when you say vintage romance, don’t forget the readers who love Bertrice Small and authors who used to be considered “hot.”  These readers LOVE those books.  I think they’re very underserved.

        I handed one lady a copy of In Her Bed by Deborah Macgillivray—pretty sensual but certainly not erotica.  The reader immediately thought it was erotica, but I assured her it wasn’t and she bought the book.  I sure hope she enjoyed it.  That book isn’t even packaged like erotica, but I think some of the readers are gun-shy.  Or maybe it was the title, dunno.