The Madness of Celia Summers - IS RELEASED!!

  • Charlotte Chalmers
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008

      Yessss! And I have a brilliant new website, thanks to Rae Monet!  Whooohaaaay!!  I am totally ecstatic, now I've stopped blubbering.

      Here is a little PROMO: - Excerpt and blurb.  I hope that's OK?

      BLURB:

      Celia Summers, intrepid mother of two, loves her work as an art therapist.  She's proud that she gives her elderly independents something to look forward to each day, even if her partner, Martin, is disparaging of her efforts.

                  But then Martin has a secret agenda Celia knows nothing about.  Meanwhile she defends her geriatric charges, fights to secure gallery space for their artwork, and fights to keep The Harbour, a home the residents can truly call home, from being closed.

      She takes on the might of the town council; to the point of leaping from a church steeple to bring attention to the plight of her independents, no matter that she might fall and end up splattered all over the pavement.  When she does fall, however, it's much more painfully.

      Police Constable Alex Burrows, the son of long time Harbour resident, Colonel Burrows, whose sense of humour has made her laugh, whose tragic personal circumstances have made her cry, whose smile has stolen her heart; turns out to be just as much a liar as Martin.

      Can Celia ever trust again?  Can Alex get past her protective cadre of friends, forgotten by most of the people in their own lives, and convince her to trust him, to love him, as he does her?

      EXCERPT - The Madness

      "You're nuts," Alex said as they gazed heavenward.

      "I know. I'll just, ahem, ring Martin," Celia said, her voice rather high-pitched.  Tell him to dig out her last Will and Testament should she die before she was wed.

      Oh, Lord, get a grip, woman, she told herself firmly, aware that Alex was watching her, amusement dancing in his eyes.  She could do this.  Of course she could.  She had to do it, for her old people.  Saga Radio were on site to promote the Faith in Action Fun Day.  The Birmingham Mail, too, poised for a photo opportunity.  And what better opportunity for they themselves than front-page news?

      She pictured the headline--Elderly Independents Take Housing Battle to the Top.

      Yes, more like Deranged Do-Gooder Air-Rescued from Church Steeple.

      Oh, God, she couldn't.  Absolutely couldn't.  She'd be paralysed with fear before she'd climbed the steps to the roof.  Or be drawn irresistibly to the edge, vertigo driving an urge to throw herself off.

      Yes, well, that was the aim, wasn't it, though preferably after they'd attached the rope?

      She took a calming deep breath, forgot to breathe out and tripped over a tombstone.  "Sorry," she mumbled to the inhabitant therein.

      "Okay?" Alex asked behind her.

      "Wonderful.  Never better. "Um, no signal."  Celia waved her mobile by way of explanation for dilly-dallying on the flagstones--where it was nice and flat.

      "Wait until you get to the top," Alex suggested.  "You should get a pretty clear signal up there.  Direct line to God, in fact."

      "Good idea."  Celia nodded enthusiastically.  Bad idea, she thought.  The worst she'd had in her life.  She wasn't ready for a one-to-one with God, for pity's sake.

      "I'm not so sure it is."  Alex glanced up at the church, standing tall in its monolithic splendour, extremely tall, and shook his head.  Then shook it again as Eleanor sailed past in an olive green kimono and glass beaded slippers.  "She's going to abseil in that?"  He looked at Celia, bemused.

      Eleanor ground to a halt.  "Do you have a problem with it?"

      "No.  No," Alex said quickly.  "It's very fetching.  Just a bit, er…"

      Eleanor folded her arms and tapped her foot.

      "Exotic."  He looked this way and that as she looked him frostily up and down.  "For abseiling, I mean."

      "It may interest you to know, Mr. Burrows, that your thoughts on my dress-sense interest me not one iota.  It may also interest you to know that I am not the cat's mother."

      "Come again?" Alex cast confused eyes in Celia's direction.  Celia shrugged and hoped he hadn't noticed the two legs she'd stuffed into one of her outdoor trousers.  Oh, sh…ugar.  He had.  She hopped around, her back to him, smiled wanly at a child regarding her coolly over his ice cream, then hopped full circle.  Better he think her a pupating caterpillar than get another birds-eye view of her bum.

      THANK YOU FOR READING.  HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

      Sheryl writing as Charlotte Chalmers
      The Madness of Celia Summers

      Digital release – OUT NOW!.  In Print - March 28 2008

      www.thewildrosepress.com
      www.myspace.com/charlottechalmers

      www.charlottechalmers.com

      Preview The Book

      TRAILER LINK: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6co37VB5e8
    • Jean
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
        Congratulations, Charlotte. Wow, I loved your excerpt. An art
        therapist, huh? There's an occupation I hadn't heard of. It's always
        so interesting and fun to learn of a new one. Best of luck with this!
        Jean

        --- In LongAndShortRomanceReviews@yahoogroups.com, "Charlotte
        Chalmers" <charlotte-chalmers@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > "It may interest you to know, Mr. Burrows, that your thoughts on my
        > dress-sense interest me not one iota. It may also interest you to
        know
        > that I am not the cat's mother."
        >
        > "Come again?" Alex cast confused eyes in Celia's direction.
        > Celia shrugged and hoped he hadn't noticed the two legs she'd
        > stuffed into one of her outdoor trousers. Oh, sh…ugar. He had.
        > She hopped around, her back to him, smiled wanly at a child
        regarding
        > her coolly over his ice cream, then hopped full circle. Better he
        think
        > her a pupating caterpillar than get another birds-eye view of her
        bum.

        > THANK YOU FOR READING. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!
        >

        > Sheryl writing as Charlotte Chalmers
        > The Madness of Celia Summers
        >
        > Digital release – OUT NOW!. In Print - March 28 2008

      • Charlotte Chalmers
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008

          Thanks, Jean.  I am soo-ooo happy to have my book out there.  It's a hard slog sometimes, but the thought of putting a smile on one person's face...Is worrrrrrth it! :D:D

          Sheryl writing as Charlotte Chalmers
          The Madness of Celia Summers

          Digital – OUT NOW!  In Print - March 28 2008

          --- In LongAndShortRomanceReviews@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <mjeanpike2@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > "It may interest you to know, Mr. Burrows, that your thoughts on my
          > > dress-sense interest me not one iota. It may also interest you to
          > know
          > > that I am not the cat's mother."
          > >
          > > "Come again?" Alex cast confused eyes in Celia's direction.
          > > Celia shrugged and hoped he hadn't noticed the two legs she'd
          > > stuffed into one of her outdoor trousers. Oh, sh…ugar. He had.
          > > She hopped around, her back to him, smiled wanly at a child
          > regarding
          > > her coolly over his ice cream, then hopped full circle. Better he
          > think
          > > her a pupating caterpillar than get another birds-eye view of her
          > bum.
          > >
          > > THANK YOU FOR READING. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!
          > >

          > > Sheryl writing as Charlotte Chalmers
          > > The Madness of Celia Summers
          > >
          > > Digital release – OUT NOW!. In Print - March 28 2008

        • Cerian
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
            Charlotte,

            That's awesome news! And I love the excerpt. Congrats!!

            Ceri

> [...]
            >
            > "It may interest you to know, Mr. Burrows, that your thoughts on my
            > dress-sense interest me not one iota. It may also interest you to
            know
            > that I am not the cat's mother."
            >
            > "Come again?" Alex cast confused eyes in Celia's direction.
            > Celia shrugged and hoped he hadn't noticed the two legs she'd
            > stuffed into one of her outdoor trousers. Oh, sh…ugar. He had.
            > She hopped around, her back to him, smiled wanly at a child
            regarding
            > her coolly over his ice cream, then hopped full circle. Better he
            think
            > her a pupating caterpillar than get another birds-eye view of her
            bum.

            > THANK YOU FOR READING. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!
            >

            > Sheryl writing as Charlotte Chalmers
            > The Madness of Celia Summers
            >
            > Digital release – OUT NOW!. In Print - March 28 2008

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:LongAndShortRomanceReviews-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:LongAndShortRomanceReviews-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Charlotte Chalmers
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008

              Thanks, Ceri.  I've had a lot of knockbacks (Oh, gosh, how unusual!), a lot of encouragement, but nothing like the encouragement I've had from WRP and my editor there.  I take my hats off to them.  They're special!

              --- In LongAndShortRomanceReviews@yahoogroups.com, Cerian <whitemare7@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > "It may interest you to know, Mr. Burrows, that your thoughts on my
              > > dress-sense interest me not one iota. It may also interest you to
              > know
              > > that I am not the cat's mother."
              > >
              > > "Come again?" Alex cast confused eyes in Celia's direction.
              > > Celia shrugged and hoped he hadn't noticed the two legs she'd
              > > stuffed into one of her outdoor trousers. Oh, sh…ugar. He had.
              > > She hopped around, her back to him, smiled wanly at a child
              > regarding
              > > her coolly over his ice cream, then hopped full circle. Better he
              > think
              > > her a pupating caterpillar than get another birds-eye view of her
              > bum.
              > >
              > > THANK YOU FOR READING. HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!
              > >

              > > Sheryl writing as Charlotte Chalmers
              > > The Madness of Celia Summers
              > >
              > > Digital release – OUT NOW!. In Print - March 28 2008

            • Marianne
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008
                Congrats on your release and your website. I took a peek at the
                trailer, too. WOO!

                You must be beside yourself :-)

                Marianne
                http://www.mariannearkins.com
                http://www.reading-writing.blogspot.com
              • Charlotte Chalmers
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2008

                  Thank you, Marianne.  Pinching myself, more like. I have to tell you, I've been built up and let down (UK girl, you know!).  Here, I've been built up... Am still floating.  My characters are out there.  Amazing!!!  As for my website, Rae Monet is a talented web designer and mind reader.  She knew instinctively what I wanted.  Bless her little socks!

                  --- In LongAndShortRomanceReviews@yahoogroups.com, "Marianne" <LASReviews@...> wrote:

                  > Congrats on your release and your website. I took a peek at the
                  > trailer, too. WOO!
                  >
                  > You must be beside yourself :-)
                  >
                  > Marianne
                  > http://www.mariannearkins.com
                  > http://www.reading-writing.blogspot.com

                • Jane Richardson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008

                    Huge congrats, my friend!  Here's to your success!

                    Jane x

                    www.janerichardson.co.uk

                    strength...intelligence...passion...stories worth telling.

                    'A Different Kind of Honesty' releases 11 April 2008 from The Wild Rose Press

                    http://janerichardsonhomethoughts.blogspot.com/

                    http://www.myspace.com/janerichardsonwriter

                    Preview The Book: http://www.previewthebook.com/book.php?id=381

                    --- In LongAndShortRomanceReviews@yahoogroups.com, "Charlotte Chalmers" <charlotte-chalmers@...> wrote:

                    > Yessss! And I have a brilliant new website, thanks to Rae Monet!
                    > Whooohaaaay!! I am totally ecstatic, now I've stopped blubbering.
                    >

                    > Here is a little PROMO: - Excerpt and blurb. I hope that's OK?
                    >

                    > BLURB:
                    >

                    > Celia Summers, intrepid mother of two, loves her work as an art
                    > therapist. She's proud that she gives her elderly independents
                    > something to look forward to each day, even if her partner, Martin, is
                    > disparaging of her efforts.
                    >
                    > But then Martin has a secret agenda Celia knows nothing
                    > about. Meanwhile she defends her geriatric charges, fights to secure
                    > gallery space for their artwork, and fights to keep The Harbour, a home
                    > the residents can truly call home, from being closed.
                    >
                    > She takes on the might of the town council; to the point of leaping from
                    > a church steeple to bring attention to the plight of her independents,
                    > no matter that she might fall and end up splattered all over the
                    > pavement. When she does fall, however, it's much more painfully.
                    >
                    > Police Constable Alex Burrows, the son of long time Harbour resident,
                    > Colonel Burrows, whose sense of humour has made her laugh, whose tragic
                    > personal circumstances have made her cry, whose smile has stolen her
                    > heart; turns out to be just as much a liar as Martin.
                    >
                    > Can Celia ever trust again? Can Alex get past her protective cadre of
                    > friends, forgotten by most of the people in their own lives, and
                    > convince her to trust him, to love him, as he does her?
                    >>

                    > Sheryl writing as Charlotte Chalmers
                    > The Madness of Celia Summers
                    >
                    > Digital release – OUT NOW!. In Print - March 28 2008
                    >
                    > www.thewildrosepress.com <http://www.thewildrosepress.com/>
                    > www.myspace.com/charlottechalmers
                    > <http://www.myspace.com/charlottechalmers>
                    >
                    > www.charlottechalmers.com <http://www.charlottechalmers.com/>
                    >
                    > Preview The Book <http://www.previewthebook.com/book.php?id=365>
                    > TRAILER LINK: www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6co37VB5e8
                    > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6co37VB5e8>

                  • Liana Laverentz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2008
                      Congratulations, Charlotte! Way to go! Wonderful excerpt and
                      wonderful website. Kudos to you and Rae.

                      Enjoy your weekend. Go out and CELEBRATE!

                      Liana Laverentz
                      Thin Ice (NJRW Golden Leaf Winner and EPPIE Finalist)
                      ISBN 1-60154-016-7
                      Jake's Return
                      ISBN 1-60154-124-4
                      Ashton's Secret (coming in 2008)