INFO: BA to start LCY - New York Twice Daily

  • Dean Mitchell
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      Wow - this is a great story and hope it happens It was on todays Travelmole Dean

      BA to serve New York from London City

      An all-business class service between London City Airport and New York is to be established by British Airways The new flights will operate on Airbus A318 aircraft with 32 seats onboard with a double daily frequency. The move to fly transatlantic from the London Docklands airport will pitch BA against all-business class carriers Silverjet from Luton and Eos from Stansted. BA is ordering two A318s to operate the service. The date of the first flight has not been disclosed or the price of tickets. The airline's chief executive said: 'This niche service will fly passengers between the heart of the two largest financial centres in the world. London City airport is located minutes away from some of our key corporate customers and is in one of the fastest growing areas of the capital. 'We will offer a 15 minute check-in for customers in both London and New York. London City's size means that it is a quick and easy airport to use and, with a maximum of 32 passengers onboard, getting on and off the aircraft will be a smooth process. 'Once onboard, customers will experience all the benefits of our business class cabin including a fully flat bed. 'The London-New York route is a key market for us and these flights will be in addition to our current Heathrow schedule from where we fly eight times a day to JFK and three times a day to Newark. 'As well as the business market, we are confident that there will also be a demand from premium leisure customers for this service. 'The A318 is the perfect aircraft for these flights. It is capable of operating at London City and is large enough for us to provide the number of business class seats required to make this a viable operation.'

    • John Tietjen
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        I'm not a couple of months behind am I? It is the 1st April today? A318's
        into LCY fine, but carrying enough fuel for JFK? Prove me wrong someone!!!

        John
        > Wow - this is a great story and hope it happens It was on todays
        > Travelmole Dean
        >

        > BA to serve New York from London City
        >

        > An all-business class service between London City Airport and New York is
        > to be established by British Airways The new flights will operate on
        > Airbus A318 aircraft with 32 seats onboard with a double daily frequency.
        > The move to fly transatlantic from the London Docklands airport will pitch
        > BA against all-business class carriers Silverjet from Luton and Eos from
        > Stansted. BA is ordering two A318s to operate the service. The date of the
        > first flight has not been disclosed or the price of tickets. The airline's
        > chief executive said: 'This niche service will fly passengers between the
        > heart of the two largest financial centres in the world. London City
        > airport is located minutes away from some of our key corporate customers
        > and is in one of the fastest growing areas of the capital. 'We will offer
        > a 15 minute check-in for customers in both London and New York. London
        > City's size means that it is a quick and easy airport to use and, with a
        > maximum of 32 passengers onboard, getting on and off the aircraft will be
        > a smooth process. 'Once onboard, customers will experience all the
        > benefits of our business class cabin including a fully flat bed. 'The
        > London-New York route is a key market for us and these flights will be in
        > addition to our current Heathrow schedule from where we fly eight times a
        > day to JFK and three times a day to Newark. 'As well as the business
        > market, we are confident that there will also be a demand from premium
        > leisure customers for this service. 'The A318 is the perfect aircraft for
        > these flights. It is capable of operating at London City and is large
        > enough for us to provide the number of business class seats required to
        > make this a viable operation.'

        > New group for ACARS/SBS logs email SBS-SouthEast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dudley
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
          It does say with 32 seats so maybe extra fuel tanks and in rear

          Dudley
          I'm not a couple of months behind am I? It is the 1st April today? A318's
          into LCY fine, but carrying enough fuel for JFK? Prove me wrong someone!!!

          John
          > Wow - this is a great story and hope it happens It was on todays
          > Travelmole Dean
          >

          > BA to serve New York from London City
          >

          > An all-business class service between London City Airport and New York is
          > to be established by British Airways The new flights will operate on
          > Airbus A318 aircraft with 32 seats onboard with a double daily frequency.
          > The move to fly transatlantic from the London Docklands airport will pitch
          > BA against all-business class carriers Silverjet from Luton and Eos from
          > Stansted. BA is ordering two A318s to operate the service. The date of the
          > first flight has not been disclosed or the price of tickets. The airline's
          > chief executive said: 'This niche service will fly passengers between the
          > heart of the two largest financial centres in the world. London City
          > airport is located minutes away from some of our key corporate customers
          > and is in one of the fastest growing areas of the capital. 'We will offer
          > a 15 minute check-in for customers in both London and New York. London
          > City's size means that it is a quick and easy airport to use and, with a
          > maximum of 32 passengers onboard, getting on and off the aircraft will be
          > a smooth process. 'Once onboard, customers will experience all the
          > benefits of our business class cabin including a fully flat bed. 'The
          > London-New York route is a key market for us and these flights will be in
          > addition to our current Heathrow schedule from where we fly eight times a
          > day to JFK and three times a day to Newark. 'As well as the business
          > market, we are confident that there will also be a demand from premium
          > leisure customers for this service. 'The A318 is the perfect aircraft for
          > these flights. It is capable of operating at London City and is large
          > enough for us to provide the number of business class seats required to
          > make this a viable operation.'

          > New group for ACARS/SBS logs email SBS-SouthEast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Tietjen
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
            Rather you than me!!!
            > It does say with 32 seats so maybe extra fuel tanks and in rear
            >
            > Dudley

          • flapper340
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
              Fuel stop outbound at Shannon so I have been told.
              Cheers Brian

              > It does say with 32 seats so maybe extra fuel tanks and in rear
              >
              > Dudley

            • David Wise
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
                The Daily Telegraph city pages says that it will route via Shannon to
                refuel westwards, while coming in direct eastwards.

                It won't be the first direct flight into LCY from USA, the first one I
                logged was in March 2000, DA50 VP-BSL of Shell direct from Bangor,
                Maine. Does anyone know of an earlier direct flight?

                Dave W