Fwd: Basketball Hoops--The Debate Continues (from Phillyblocks)

  • D. Michael Blackie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2003
      --- In phillyblocks@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Schwartz" <edcivic@l...>
      wrote:-------
      SEE Entire Dialogue RE: Basketball Hoops/Electric Scooters at:
      Basketball Scooters
      --------
      From: "D. Michael Blackie" <info@D...>
      Date: Sun May 11, 2003 2:56pm
      Subject: Re: More on Block Basketball Courts

      I'm appalled at the number of Block Captains, Advocates and
      Activists that have written lengthy diatribes against Basketball
      Courts and Electric Motor Scooters lately. Let's BAN everything! Then
      let's have a good old fashioned Book Burning. While we're at it let's
      ban discussion groups like this one, and hell, let's ban the
      computer....
      I think groups like phillyblocks[and logan News] are a great forum
      for dialogue to begin. But, some of the dialogue is only rambling
      complaining. I don't see a lot of suggestions for improvement or
      solution. We cry and complain about problems in our community.
      Someone else agrees and we moan and cry some more...together, now,
      united in our angst and on and on it goes. Then it stops and a new
      debate begins. But, did we resolve the prior debate, or just get to
      say everything we wanted to on the topic?
      We call ourselves advocates for Youth, for Education, for
      a 'Children's Agenda', for Community Building, and yet we bash
      and cry out against everything children or youth would want to do in
      the community. We already took LOVE Park away from the skaters, now
      we want to take away Basketball courts. We want lower taxes, more
      services and safe streets and clean neighborhoods; with no kid's
      playing in the streets or riding unlicensed scooters without helmets
      or else the police will confiscate them, and we want those kids to
      go to school, graduate, and get good jobs and stay in this city
      where everybody wanted to take away their individual liberties.
      Yeah, I see all of that happening. In fact it will be a book
      called "And Then There Were None" A Story of An Empty City. Because
      everyone will have left! I enjoy reading the rants...but, let's get
      real and start to suggest some solutions to the situations, and be
      the "Activist" we claim to be instead of just a 'curmudgeon' with a
      complaint!
      D.M.B.
      --- End forwarded message ---