Get SEPTA Off Life-Support

  • Marc Stier
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      Philadelphia Transit Campaign

      Community Leaders,

      Below is the most recent e-newsletter from the Philadelphia Transit Campaign.

      We would like to enlist your support, and that of the community and civic organizations of which you are a part, in our efforts to secure dedicated funding for public transportation. We hope that you, or a representative from your organization, can attend both of the events listed below, our lobbying trip to Harrisburg and our regional action meeting.

      In addition, we would like to send a representative of the PTC to your next meeting to make a ten minute presentation about the public transit issue. The only way we are going to get our public officials to address the needs of SEPTA and the other transportation systems in the state is to build a large movement of people who support dedicated funding for public transit. We need the support of your organization and its membership.

      So please, contact us as soon as possible to arrange a time for us to reach out to talk to your group.

      Marc Stier

      info@...

      (215) 844-4101

      Philadelphia Transit Campaign

      6703 Germantown Avenue • Philadelphia , PA 19119 • (215) 844-4101 • info@...  • www.phillytransit.com

      Help Get SEPTA Off Life-Support!

       Join us at two events next week.

      Tuesday, October 5 is

      Ticket to Ride Day

      Rally at the Capitol Rotunda
      11:00 am to Noon in Harrisburg

      Free buses - including wheelchair lift

      Leaving From JFK Boulevard, West of 30th Street Station

      We will board at 7:30 AM, depart at 8:00 AM, leave Harrisburg at 2:00 PM and return about 4:00 PM.

      Wednesday, October 6th

      Philadelphia Transit Campaign
      Regional Action Meeting

      6:00 to 7:00 PM
      Philadelphia Ethical Society
      1906 S. Rittenhouse Square
      Philadelphia , PA 19103

      Rittenhouse Square between 18th and 20th, Walnut and Pine Streets
      Reach it on the 9, 12, 17 Buses; 34 Trolley;  Regional Rail to Suburban Station

      For more information about both events and
       to reserve a place on a bus to Harrisburg

      Call Marc Stier: (215) 844-4101
      Email: info@...
      www.phillytransit.com

      SEPTA is Beyond Band-aid Fixes

      The crisis in transit funding is real. SEPTA is one of the worst-funded major transit agencies in the U.S. and it is facing a $62 million deficit for the current year. You don’t have to take SEPTA’s word for it. We are an independent group of transit activists who want convenient, efficient, reliable, and inexpensive public transit in the Greater Philadelphia region. We have looked at the books and know we won’t get there without new, dedicated funding for public transit from the state of Pennsylvania .

      Do you want an end to weekend service? a 25% fare increases? a 20% cut in service? 1400 workers laid off? monster traffic jams, gridlock at the stadiums, shutdown theatres, and choking air pollution? The Philadelphia region is facing an economic, social and environmental catastrophe in the new year. Without dedicated funding SEPTA won’t have any choice but to adopt a plan that will devastate our communities.

      Even if we could limp through another year with budget band-aids—targeted reductions in service, a large fare increase and another go round of shuffling money from one pot to another—why should we settle for reductions in a transit system that is already inadequate? We will never get the public transit system this region needs until Pennsylvania takes on the same responsibility  for funding public transit that other states such as Massachusetts, New York, and Illinois have accepted.

      We face a fundamental choice: Without new dedicated funding for public transit, SEPTA will slowly collapse. With it, public transit will gradually improve, benefiting everyone who lives in the Greater Philadelphia region. Without  dedicated funding, our declining public transit system will strangle our communities. With it, public transit will make an increasingly important contribution to the the quality of life in our region, helping seniors and school children; serving workers and students; and contributing to the economic and residential development we so much need.

      Steering Committee
      Philadelphia Transit Campaign

      Hilary Aisenstein, Chair of the Green Party of Philadelphia

      Belinda Davis, Northwest Greens

      Peter Javsicas, Executive Director, PenTrans

      Lance Haver, Director of the Office of Consumer Affairs, City of Philadelphia

      Marc Stier, President, West Mt. Airy Neighbors

      PS Please forward this email to your friends and ask them to show their support for public transportation by signing up to received future emails at our website www.phillytransit.com

    • Biddle
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2004
        SEPTA has already all but collapsed.

        To seek dedicated funding from the state is the last thing needed to solve this local PHILADELPHIA problem.

        Problem-solving around SEPTA's demise ultimately involves creating a new Philadelphia-based transit agency

        ...  after SEPTA's funeral, an event which can only be scheduled when Philadelphians stand up to the thugs now running SEPTA and Philadelphia transit into the ground.

        A new local agency would rationally control public transit within the city, lowering fares dramatically while increasing both the quality and quantity of service and its safety.

        Imagine the city as a high-rise building with many elevators. Do the elevator riders pay for each ride?

        Who does pay?

        Funding the public transit system from a local property tax based on recapturing land values created by the 567,000 Philadelphia real estate parcels' proximity and ease of access to the various forms of public transit is a solution few Philadelphians know about. This crisis will change that dynamic. Insufficent solutions just extend and worsen the problem

        Positive improvements can happen here, but only if we do not fall under the narcotic of dedicated state funding.

        Remember:
        SEPTA is run by suburban politicians with never-ending plans and designs on extending unneeded and inappropriate suburban services out to West Jabipp and beyond in order to play footsie with suburban land speculators and land developers.

        Philadelphians unnecessarily pay for their play....Can you imagine this on a Sim City game?

        Why should we empower these thugs with more of our money?

                                                RSVP
                                           Call or email
                                  HGSPhila@...
                                        to arrange for
                                      a free showing of
                                  James Howard Kunstler's
                                               new dvd
                                 THE END OF SUBURBIA

                                                       or
                 TAKEN FOR A RIDE:PARKING IN PHILADELPHIA
                                    for very limited seating for
                                     this next topically-related,
                                    free Saturday Seminar on
                                          October 16th from
                                           10:00 - 11:30 AM
                                        Henry George School
                                           413 S. 10th Street
                                        Philadelphia, PA 19147

                    TAKEN FOR A RIDE:PARKING IN PHILADELPHIA
        Examine how a secondary service became not only the third-largest landholder in Philadelphia but also a prime player in Philadelphia money-politics and its major impact on both businesses and consumers

                                 presented by
                          Joshua Vincent , Director
                       Center for the Study of Economics
        (Ironically we offer free parking by pre-arrangement but not in a surface parking lot nor in one owned by the subject of this talk.)
        Henry George School of Social Science,
        413 S. 10th Street
        (between Pine & Lombard Streets),
        Philadelphia, PA 19147
        (215) 922-4278

        Marc Stier <MarcStier@...> wrote:

[...]

        To access Neighborhoods Online-Philadelphia go to: http://phillyneighborhoods.org
        Also check out the following related web sites:
        http://phillyblocks.org for block issues.