Density

  • Mark Homocore
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002
      One would *think* that building more housing units per
      lot would increase the density of a neighborhood. But
      a study about Chicago trends that I read last year
      (apologies for not being able to dig up a proper
      reference), showed that actually in neighborhoods
      where the number of units was going up wildly, the
      actual population was going down. Seems odd right?

      Well apparently not. The gist of the study was that
      families were moving out of their apartments and
      homes, and the housing stock was being replaced by
      more expensive "luxury" units that appeal primarily to
      mostly childless urban professional couples (and yes,
      I this is me, so no one gets to gets to act like I'm
      attacking them).

      Anyhow food for thought - lets not forget the economic
      dimension of this whole thing.

      mark

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com