Chicago Event

  • Eva Booker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2002
      Check out the following web site for an exciting event
      coming to Chicago on June 15th: rollingthundertour.org/events/chicago

      =====
      Eva B.
      "It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end." Ursula K. LeGuin

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Michael Stanek

        From: "Eli Pariser, MoveOn.org"
        Subject: Mark Your Calendar: Rolling Thunder's Coming

        Dear friend,

        Our friends over at the Rolling Thunder Down Home Democracy Tour have put
        together an incredible event, and it's coming to Chicago on June 15th.

        I went to the Tour's debut in Austin, TX, and it was a lot of fun -- good
        people, great music, inspiring orators, and delicious free food. What
        more could you ask for? I've attached an email with a better description
        of the tour below, and we hope you can
        make it.

        Yo unionizers and wage earners, hipsters and farmers, activists and
        artists, stargazers and soccer moms, high-schoolers and life scholars,
        welders and body-builders, and all the rest of you, mark your calendars
        now for a festival of democracy coming to
        Chicago June 15th that you won't wanna miss.

        The Rolling Thunder Down-Home Democracy (RTD2) Festival, featuring heroes
        of word, deed and music such as Erykah Badu, Jesse Jackson Jr., Jim
        Hightower, Chicago's own Studs Terkel, Patch Adams, spoken word
        performance impresarios Kuumba Lynx, the soon-to-be-famous Union of
        Industrial Textile Employees (UNITE) gospel choir and many many others,
        is coming to Chicago to raise the rafters and some hell and we think you
        should join us.

        Check out our website for the details:

        http://www.rollingthundertour.org

        The day-long festival will not only showcase the considerable talents
        noted above, but will have hard-hitting workshops on issues ranging from
        genetically modified food to youth decriminalization along with hands-on
        trainings about how to mobilize a
        grassroots campaign, how to access and use the media and many other
        power-building activities.

        There'll be free organic pepper jack grilled cheese sandwiches from the
        Organic Valley Magic Farm Friends bus, carnival games like
        Dunk-A-Lobbyist, free Ben and Jerry's ice cream, a Hellraiser's Tent for
        writing to elected officials and corporate schmucks, a vision quest by
        Patch Adams, a solar-powered sound stage supplied by Greenpeace, and
        more.

        This is no froo froo festival, we're serious about our fun and we're
        serious about making a difference in the world.

        We're also serious about needing your help to make this event a success,
        so we need all y'all to volunteer some time to help create and post
        flyers, call media contacts, alert your lists (BY FORWARDING THIS EMAIL),
        phone bank, do graphic design, sell tickets, etc.

        So get your behinds to THE BIG OLE VOLUNTEER MEETING every Thursday at
        7pm (there'll be pizza!) at the headquarters of UNITE at 333 S. Ashland
        at the Eisenhower Expressway. Forward this to all your friends,
        acquaintances and even those people you don't really like but have their
        email addresses anyway.

        THEN, get your behinds to Union Park, Saturday June 15th and be ready to
        agitate your booty and your mind.

        See you Thursday!

        For more information see www.rollingthundertour.org and call or email
        Darci Andresen: 312-738-6123, darci@.... IF YOU'D LIKE
        TO BE AN ANGEL AND VOLUNTEER, please contact Lily Jimenez, 312-738-6143,
        education16@...