Re: Possible Protest Event @ Marshall Field

  • mlkeough2000
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 30, 2005
      My mistake about the previous owner. The previous owner(s) of the
      store, correct me if I'm wrong, Target or May tried to block the
      building from being Landmarked.

      One of the first things Macy's did was ask the city to landmark the
      building to: preserve the name, clocks, facade, interior features,
      etc. The store name will change, but the building name will remain.

      --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "D. SPACKMAN" <dsnds1984@y...> wrote:

      > Also, the Landmark-ing of the building was at the request of Macy's.
      > The previous owner, Federated Stores, resisted the Landmark tag.
      Federated is the present owner -- they own Macy's and Marshall Fields,
      among others...
    • Lori Dake
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
        And THAT I whole-heartedly agree with. Retain the architecture! Any
        store can work within the walls, so as long as they don't take the
        walls with 'em ;)

        I would like to think Macy's will hopefully correct the problem
        regarding their employees. What's their current record? Also, will
        they be taking over the warehouse, which, of course, /directly/
        affects us, since so many of our neighbors currently work there?

        Thanks

        Lori Dake

        --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "mlkeough2000"
        <mlkeough2000@y...> wrote:

        <snip>

        > One of the first things Macy's did was ask the city to landmark the
        > building to: preserve the name, clocks, facade, interior features,
        > etc. The store name will change, but the building name will remain.

        </snip>
      • Ward Miller
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
          So, lets just "chuck everything", right?

          How about improving an existing institution, make it better? As each of you
          have mentioned, some not so great things have happened with each buyout by
          another big corporation. Each time major layoffs and a gutting of store,
          from buyers, to the Frango candy makers. So, what has changed? Do you
          really think the new owner will address these issues?

          It is my personal opinion that you may provide employees even less, under
          this new corporate parent. They are all about becoming a mammoth 330 store
          company, much like Wal-Mart, which has its own issues in relation to labor
          and fair wages.

          I personally think that it's the further unraveling of Chicago based
          companies & institutions, even if the corporate parent is not in Chicago. I
          can also assure you that the job losses will be many regionally, as the new
          parent company begins to close stores and sell off real estate. They are
          taking on tremendous debt, and with all consolidations, the large layoffs
          come within the year.

          So, I see several reasons to protest and get off my duff, and perhaps make
          others aware that were tired of empty promises.

          Ward Miller

        • Ward Miller
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
            Actually, several corrections:

            The many residents of the City (and experts too!), suggested that Landmarks
            consider this building and its critical features for designation. The
            building is Red-rated (most important buildings are Red-rated) in the City
            own CHRS Survey. Target corp. (formerly Dayton-Hudson's) did not consent to
            designation in the past. However, this would not have stopped the process
            this time.

            However, during a change of ownership, the City pursued Target, noting the
            corporation/stores were for sale, and "The May Company" (now swallowed-up by
            Federated, Macy's parent) agreed to designation. So that action is not
            Macy's action, but the former owner-The May Company.

            On that prior action, Federated-Macy's recently agreed to the City's
            designation process, which was already underway for more than a year. It
            was a natural! But, don't credit Macy's with Landmark consent, that credit
            goes to The May Company. They were in the process of rebuilding the company
            when Federated entered the scene and purchased all of their stores coast to
            coast.

            Many of us testified numerous times for designation and are in part,
            responsible for the building's protection and designation.

            So, anyone up for a good-old fashioned protest? We need to do this more in
            America!

            Ward Miller

          • rachfriend
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
              My association with the name Marshall Fields

              And let's not forget that Marshall Fields, who had the command of the
              Chicago police department and courts, and the government in his pocket,
              personally & successfully ordered 8 innocent men publicly murdered for
              striving for laborers' rights to an 8 hour work day - just to set an
              example and warn all of his might and deadliness.

              Protect that name? In my PERSONAL OPINION, I've got much better things
              to do with my activist time. It would be like celebrating Christopher
              Columbus day, which is now met with counter-educational events on that
              day.

              Rachel Friend
            • Lori Dake
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
                You're right: stores like Wal*Mart also treat their employees like
                crap. I have a laundry list of complaints with many box stores, but
                it really comes down to what me and my family can afford, and what
                are the REAL pros and cons that matter to me. Here's the bottom line:

                1) Most Field's employees can't truly afford to shop there
                2) At least at Wal*Mart, store employees don't have to wear designer
                clothes, cutting deeper into their meager earnings
                3) Wal*Mart employees aren't smug to me when I don't show up in said
                designer clothes

                #1 is a big reason why I'll shop at Trader Joe's but not Whole Foods.
                TJ's brands are affordable. Hardly anything is comparable to
                Jewel/Dominick's at Whole Foods.

                So yes, I do say to pretty much "chuck everything". I have much more
                important things to do with my time. I again do state to save the
                architecture. That's about it. The rest I could care less.

                You asked the members for their thoughts in your original post. I
                think you're getting just that. Perhaps you should have rephrased
                your request to,
                "everyone who agrees with me, please reply."

                Lori Dake

                --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "Ward Miller"
                <nickelcommittee@s...> wrote:

                > So, lets just "chuck everything", right?...
              • Darrel Wood
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
                  A big problem here is that in the retail world,
                  department stores haven't been favored by the consumer
                  since their last heydey in the 1980s (and there were
                  problems back then---Campeau bought Federated and went
                  into bankruptcy).....outside of Chicago and the people
                  who grew up with Field's, Marshall Field's has become
                  just another department store....not much different
                  from a Macy's. I had a client who lived in Texas when
                  Field's was down there (in high end shopping centers)
                  and she said Field's was looked down upon---the stores
                  were not well kept up. So Federated's somewhat
                  difficult job is to create a store, Macy's, that has
                  the economy of scale to make it profitable, and
                  somehow keep it relevant in times where people prefer
                  to shop at either Target/Wal-Mart or go way upscale to
                  Neiman's. What would be nice is if Macy's keeps the
                  history section on the 7th floor Events Center.
                  As far as wages and benefits go, retail has always
                  been on lower end of the scale, and with globalization
                  and people wanting to pay Wal-mart prices, it's only
                  going to get worse (as it has been said, there is a
                  high price to be paid for paying low prices).

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 1, 2005
                    I think a good approach would be to keep the pressure
                    on Macy's to keep Field's relevant to Chicago,
                    specifically keeping the State Street store's historic
                    elements, maybe bringing Frango production back to
                    Chicago, taking/creating other Chicago tradtions to
                    the chain nationwide....thank goodness it's not
                    Nordstrom taking over, which likes to obliterate any
                    historic character of their stores, like when they
                    moved their flagship to the old Frederick & Nelson
                    store (a former Field's subsidiary) and dropped the
                    ceilings and remodeled it to death.

                    --- Ward Miller <nickelcommittee@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, several corrections:
                    >
                    > The many residents of the City (and experts too!),
                    > suggested that Landmarks
                    > consider this building and its critical features for
                    > designation...
                  • volvo122b18
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 2, 2005
                      Ward
                      Logan Square Preservation advocated downzone of our legacy Boulevards
                      along with recent Landmark status. Downzone was to prevent teardowns
                      of single family / 2-3 flats and redevelopment of these large lots on
                      Blvd into condo towers. 2445 W. Logan Blvd house circa 1890 has
                      Zoning Advisory Committee and Alderman Colon support for teardown,
                      spot UPZONE, and sizable 6 unit condo. Where's LSq Preservation
                      organized protest; aren't you LSP VP and spokesperson? Here's local
                      policy flip flop [downzone to *prevent* teardowns] right on our/your
                      historic Blvd. This impending teardown is exactly what Kimball
                      Neighbors fought and won Logan Square community voice over in 2000
                      regarding 2610 N Kimball lot. So how come you / LSqP are silent about
                      2445 W. Logan Blvd, yet new brightly colored childrens' play equipment
                      at St. Sylvester's School Humbolt @ Palmer was Boulevard crime of
                      century?
                      Mark
                      <nickelcommittee@s...> wrote:
                      I see several reasons to protest and get off my duff, and perhaps make
                      > others aware that were tired of empty promises
                    • Tim Carpenter, Ann Cibulskis
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                        Today Only! Saturday, December 3rd from 1:00 pm to
                        6:00 pm

                        Lincoln Square Pottery Studio
                        Holiday Show and Sale

                        20 artists participating
                        including Ann Cibulskis from Logan Square

                        from $5 stocking stuffers to $200 masterpieces
                        Ceramic art: some functional, some decorative
                        Special orders available

                        Stop in to browse, enjoy rereshments, and meet the artists

                        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                        dsl.yahoo.com
                      • D. SPACKMAN
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                          What is the address please?

                          "Tim Carpenter, Ann Cibulskis" <tcarp8@...> wrote:
                          Today Only! Saturday, December 3rd from 1:00 pm to
                          6:00 pm

                          Lincoln Square Pottery Studio
                          Holiday Show and Sale

                          20 artists participating
                          including Ann Cibulskis from Logan Square

                          from $5 stocking stuffers to $200 masterpieces
                          Ceramic art: some functional, some decorative
                          Special orders available

                          Stop in to browse, enjoy rereshments, and meet the artists

                          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                          dsl.yahoo.com

                          Illinois personal injury law Illinois attorney Illinois medical malpractice Illinois mover Illinois worker comp Illinois home loan

                          ---------------------------------

                          ---------------------------------
                          Yahoo! Personals

                          ---------------------------------
                        • Laurie Tanenbaum
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                            Would you put out the address for the Lincoln Square Pottery Studio? Thanks. Laurie

                            Laurie Tanenbaum
                            *Grounds For Growth*
                            Landscape design with
                            respect for the earth
                            773-489-0167
                            lauriet57@...
                          • kathy
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 3, 2005
                              4150 N. Lincoln

                              Would you put out the address for the Lincoln Square Pottery Studio?
                              Thanks. Laurie

                              Laurie Tanenbaum
                              *Grounds For Growth*
                              Landscape design with
                              respect for the earth
                              773-489-0167
                              lauriet57@...

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Laurie Tanenbaum
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005
                                too bad. i received the address on sunday. laurie

                                Laurie Tanenbaum
                                *Grounds For Growth*
                                Landscape design with
                                respect for the earth
                                773-489-0167
                                lauriet57@...
                              • Ward Miller
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                                  Dear Mark and Members of the Community,

                                  I've not been silent about this action and teardown on Logan Boulevard, nor
                                  has "Logan Square Preservation". We've asked the alderman (Rey Colon, 35th
                                  Ward) a dozen or more times, to consider the preservation of frame houses
                                  within the "Logan Boulevards District", beginning last year (2004) and
                                  continuing to this fall. These are some of the earliest in the community
                                  and along the boulevards. One example of such an oversight is the
                                  "Christmas House" (Logan and Washtenaw-NE corner), decorated with Christmas
                                  lights each year. Despite the lovely structure, below the many decorations,
                                  that building, and four others adjacent and to the immediate East are not
                                  considered "Contributing Buildings". So, these four structures could be
                                  demolished and replaced, for some much larger development.

                                  I find this to be totally unacceptable!

                                  Both Alderman Colon and the Staff at Department of Planning and
                                  Development-Landmarks Division, have refused to consider these types of
                                  structures, despite overwhelming evidence of their significance and
                                  contributions to the Boulevard's development, gathered from old fire maps
                                  dating from 1871 to 1900. They claim siding and other
                                  modifications/remodeling issues or that the structures pre-date the
                                  Boulevard's construction. I believe these structures tell the complete
                                  story of the Boulevards and the neighborhood from the beginning. I find
                                  that to be important.

                                  I also have voiced my opinion as a member of the alderman's ZAC (Zoning
                                  Advisory Committee), and have voted NO, along with several others, to
                                  upzoning and this teardown, but that organization is an advisory committee,
                                  and the alderman can still decide to do whatever he wants, despite 87% of
                                  the voters in support of a Landmark District, that should be all
                                  encompassing of ALL historic buildings, built prior to 1940.

                                  The principals behind such action (upzoning and not including all historic
                                  buildings and this teardown) and the potential threat to these historic
                                  buildings, that also preserve single family houses and encourage
                                  preservation, can be extremely detrimental to "the spirit of the district"
                                  and the community.

                                  Obviously, your elected officials are not heeding the warning, so hopefully
                                  and perhaps this honest discussion may reopen these poor decisions of the
                                  past. So, there you have it! In reality, these structures could be
                                  protected in the future by a "Logan Boulevards Extension District", if such
                                  action were considered important.

                                  While were being honest and frank, I'm still awaiting a response from
                                  Landmarks and our alderman, regarding THREE buildings on the Boulevard in
                                  the Landmark District, that are either doing work without a permit, or work
                                  that does not conform to the "Secretary of the Interiors Standards for
                                  Landmark Buildings". This is disgraceful!

                                  Too bad we all have "to police the district". I can't understand why the
                                  City and our elected officials can't better protect its resources and
                                  facades in Landmark Districts. Is that too much to ask?

                                  Ward Miller