re: 3012 W Fullerton ZERO setback from sidewalk

  • Mark Heller
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
      Erik, you should really check out new Zoning Ordinance mission statements and
      multiple glossy City Zoning Rewrite Publications / philosphy (the Zoning
      Ordinance rewrite effort) proclaiming how IMPORTANT it is for new development
      to be CONSISTENT with CONTEXT of neighboring buildings, style, SETBACKS. So
      say your MAyor Daley, Alderman Banks, David Moscena, and other really important
      City folks on the Zoning Rewrite Committee.
      Specifically, above CONTEXT SENSITIVE parameters like consistent SETBACK are
      considered essential in new development; new Zoning Ordinance is intended to
      help prevent inconsistent redevelopment.
      So, "unconcerned citizen Erik", perhaps you missed something about Zoning Code
      Rewrite overriding MANDATE that new development should be CONSISTENT with the
      context of neighboring setbacks and building style? Hizzoner Mayor Daley said
      this is REALLY important along with Ed Kus (presently Tom Smith) Head of Zoning
      in multiple City glossy Zoning Publications and website. That's not important
      in Logan Square?
      Perhaps Erik (City of Chicago employee) can educate Logan Square as to how a 4
      story new building with ZERO setback from sidewalk is context sensitive per
      glossy mission statewment of new Zoning Ordinance Rewrite that stresses this
      CONTEXT reality. New construction dwarfs RESIDENTIAL Chicago bungalow
      immediately east which has standard residential Fullerton setback. Sort of
      proves something is amiss per code Erik himself posted below and hence a clear
      Zoning violation "The required front setback in those cases must equal at least
      50% of the front yard that exists on the abutting R-zoned lot." The bungalow
      immediately east (3010 W Fullerton) is for sure originally Residential and
      people currently live there in residential use. It blocks sunlight with 4
      stories worth of edifice out to sidewalk with ZERO setback. Obviously built
      LESS than 2 feet from side lot lines (pretty confident this is bigtime building
      code violation). Do ZAC folks and Alderman drive past in SUVs too fast to
      notice details?

      So, Erik, according to Zoning Rewrite philosophy of context sensitive
      redevelopment that Mayor Daley embraces, your "unconcerned LSq citizen" misses
      Zoning facts about context sensitive redevelopment and need for setback in
      context of neighboring RESIDENTIAL buildings.
      No lead effort out of FLAK, Dear All, or even LSNA's Don Washington about so
      flagrant and obvious fiasco in progress so visible and right next to the new
      library?
      Mark
      LSq parks advocate

      >>Eric Glass wrote: You should really check out the zoning map and code
      text.
      http://www.cityofchicago.org/zoning

      3012 West Fullerton = C1-2

      http://w14.cityofchicago.org:8080/zoning/default.jsp

      Here is the setion of the code pertaining to front
      yard setbacks in B and C districts.

      "17-3-0404 Front Setbacks

      No front setback is required in B or C districts,
      except on B- or C-zoned lots abutting R-zoned lot s
      that have lot frontage on the same street. The
      required front setback in those cases must equal at
      least 50% of the front yard that exists on the
      abutting R-zoned lot. If the abutting R-zoned lot is
      vacant, the 50% must be calculated on the basis of the
      abutting lot 's required front setback. (See Sec.
      17-17-0306 for rules governing the measurement of
      front setbacks.)"

      --Erik Glass

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Erik Glass
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
        Mark,

        Nice diatribe/personal attack. Unfortunately (and as
        usual), your interpretation is completely wrong.

        --Erik

        --- Mark Heller <volvo122b18@...> wrote:

        > Erik, you should really check out new Zoning
        > Ordinance mission statements and
        > multiple glossy City Zoning Rewrite Publications /
        > philosphy (the Zoning
        > Ordinance rewrite effort) proclaiming how IMPORTANT
        > it is for new development
        > to be CONSISTENT with CONTEXT of neighboring
        > buildings, style, SETBACKS...
      • kathy
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
          Please don't presume what other people have or have not done. I
          investigated this property, around the corner from me, and yes, in the FLAK
          block club area, in June--long before these posts--as soon as it was
          apparent they were building to the lot line in front. I contacted the
          alderman's office, where staff were as distressed as I was, but the bottom
          line is exactly as Erik pointed out in an earlier email--the zoning of this
          property, as well as the residential properties around it, is commercial
          (C1-2) not residential, as you can see on the City zoning maps, and
          therefore there is no setback requirement. There was no zoning change
          requested, so it never came before the alderman's office or his Zoning
          Advisory Committee. It is atrociously ugly and I wish I could make it
          disappear, but it is apparently not illegal.

          What we should look into is whether this is a loophole in the current zoning
          rules that could/should be addressed. But this one is done, apparently
          according to law, and attacking everyone around for its existence doesn't
          fix anything or make anyone want to read this sender's mail.

          Kathy Tholin

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2005
            Kathy,

            First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for
            being a voice of reason. I, too, was very concerned
            about this building from the footings I witnessed
            being excavated.

            IMHO, the only effective way to curb 'as of right'
            development and ensure that it fits 'contextually'
            with the surrounding structures/uses is to make
            certain that the appropriate zoning classifications
            are applied/in place.

            Folks sometimes lose sight of the fact that a zoning
            ordinance basically has two components; the code text
            and the map.

            I challenge those in the community with what seems to
            be extraordinarily large amounts of time on their
            hands to go out on foot, survey their neighborhood,
            formulate some rezoning recommendations, contact the
            Alderman, schedule a meeting with the ZAC and get the
            ball rolling.

            In anticipation of those who will undoubtedly complain
            that this task (land-use surveying) is 'someone in
            City Hall's' SOLE responsibility, please take a long
            look at the City of Chicago's budget (specifically,
            personnel numbers) and get back to me.

            --Erik