RE: [LoganSquare] Palmer Square

  • Ward Miller
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 31, 2005
      I see a community divided by Ill-thought plans, when NEW PARKS and land
      acquisition should be the focus. Oh, could you also give Palmer Square some
      long-overdue maintenance? How about a restoration? How about less paving
      and undue all of their missteps of the 1950's. We're still paying and
      debating those mistakes 50 years later! I can tell you one thing; the City
      pushed this Open Space Plan to commission approval, before even reporting
      back to the community on their final findings.

      That tells you a lot right there!

      I'm surprised that Alderman Rey Colon, would not have the wisdom to step
      back and realize that this is a divisive issue, that really undermines EVERY
      CITY DOCUMENT AND POLICY REGARDING THE BOULEVARDS OF THE PAST. It will also
      undermine the Chicago Landmark Ordinance, the National Register Historic
      District-Federal Document. So, who's giving him bad advice? Department of
      Planning and Development??? Really, it does not take a rocket scientist to
      figure that something's afoul here!

      Hey, if you'd like to see a planned development "pd" that the city undertook
      recently, look to the new Best Buy-Kohls store with the 10-story billboards,
      adjacent to the sidewalks on Elston Avenue at Webster. Windowless buildings
      (oh, there are a number of "fake windows" that have been applied to the
      Kohls store recently) Is this is the best they have to offer??? They
      weren't even aware of the billboards as part of the "pd". That's how
      that-one got through! YIKES!

      Now, tell me do you trust their judgment and capabilities with Palmer Square
      and the Boulevards???? These are ill-thought ideas and I'm angry that
      someone "Downtown" is "not watching the ball". Our world famous boulevards
      are about to be further compromised, instead of restored, can Rey Colon
      finally agree that this is just a bad idea??? ..actually, plainly stated "a
      downright dumb idea"!

      Ward Miller

    • Sam Park
      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2007
        Does anyone know what the status is for Palmer Square? The last I
        heard, the construction was supposed to start in Fall 2006 for the
        integrated playlot and landscaping project. I haven't seen anything
        happen yet.

        Sam