Black Star Project's Student Motivation Program

  • kristen cox
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      FYI..........

      September 30, 2004

      Dear Prospective Motivator:

      The Black Star Project's Student Motivation Program is recruiting 100 new Student Motivators for the 2004-2005 school year to:

      * Inspire and motivate students to do well in school

      * Expose students to various college and career options

      * Encourage students towards healthy and positive lives

      * Help students to make create viable life plans and make good decisions

      The Black Star Project's Student Motivation Program is the largest classroom-based mentor program in the United States. Since 1996, The Black Star Project's motivational speakers have presented to more than 72,000 sixth- through twelfth-grade students in more than 160 Chicago elementary and high schools. This program serves students of all ethnic, racial and faith backgrounds and the motivators are equally as diverse. Please see the attached list advisory board members for the Student Motivation Program.

      We need you as a Student Motivator. Your service in this program includes volunteering just one time per year, every other month or as often as you wish. During a motivation session, motivators spend two hours, usually between 9:00 and 11:00 a.m., speaking to 3 classes of upper-grade elementary (forty minutes per class) or 2 classes of high school students (fifty minutes per class).

      Our motivators, from business, government, education, construction, medicine, law, engineering, social services, technology and other professions, talk to students about their jobs, preparation for their careers, whether college or other training is necessary, and most importantly, about how to prepare to be successful in the world of work. Our motivators also include retired people, people between jobs, and students. .

      The Black Star Project handles all the administration, logistics, scheduling and training for the Student Motivation Program. We only need you to arrive at the school and speak to students for as little as two hours per year. Please return the attached registration form, call us at 312/842-3527, or email us at blackstar1000@... for more information about this program and for information about a short training session that will prepare you to become a Student Motivator in Chicago schools.

      Please forward this opportunity to friends, associates, professionals and others who might be interested in this opportunity. Thank you for supporting the children of Chicago.

      Sincerely,

      Phillip Jackson
      Executive Director

      Student Motivation Program
      2004 Advisory Board

      Arne Duncan, CEO, Chicago Public Schools, Honorary Chairman
      Bryan Anderson, Partner, Foley and Lardner, Chairman
      Cheryl Hyman, Illinois Congressional and Community Liaison, ComEd, Vice
      Chairman
      Lester Blair, CEO/CIO, Blair Capital Management
      Timothy Hansen, Vice President, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
      Fred Johnson, Vice President, URS Corp
      Emil Jones, Jr., President, Illinois State Senate
      Cheryl Lamm Gunn, Manager of Community Initiatives, Quaker PepsiCo
      Kerry Malm, Assistant to the President, Robert Morris University
      Charles Middleton, President, Roosevelt University
      Kathy Pasulka-Brown, Partner, Foley and Lardner
      Lynn Reasonover, Vice President, Northern Trust Bank
      John Roberson, Commissioner, Chicago Department of Aviation
      Jerry Roper, CEO, Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
      Debra Smilski, General Manager, Sodexho-Globetrotters
      Dana Starks, First Deputy Superintendent of Police, Chicago Police Department
      Teyonda Wertz, Chief of Staff, Illinois Department of Human Services
      Jesse White, Secretary of State, Illinois

      These are Chicago schools that we will serve in The Student Motivation
      Program in October 2004:

      Pershing
      O'Toole
      Our Lady of the Gardens
      Woods Academy
      Songhai
      Hearst
      Ryder
      St. Helena
      McCorkle
      O'Keefe
      Warren
      Hendricks
      Metcalfe
      Collins High School
      Tanner
      Kellman
      Jane Adams High School
      Kate Buckingham
      New Millennium School of Health High School
      Beasley
      Westinghouse High School
      Morrill
      Dixon

      We have the program. We have the schools. We have the students. The only thing missing is you!