FW: Shooting near Monticello and Fullerton

  • KATHERINE ANDERSON
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1 7:44 AM
      This is from my brother in law who just bought a house on Monticello and
      Altgeld. Any idea what's going on here?

      Thanks!
      Kathy

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1 11:13 AM
        Kathy,

        I was awakened at 1:42am by four gunshots...and then a lot of screaming, hollering, cursing, and folks running around in the street. I called 911. Police came immediately, along with an ambulance and fire trucks. Before they arrived, I heard someone say, "oh my god, he's been shot in the head!". When the police showed up, they immediately started gathering up a few people and dispersing the crowd.

        I saw posted this morning on EveryBlock that the incident stemmed from a "traffic incident", whatever that means. The police, etc. were out on the street and blocked off eastbound Altgeld and southbound Lawndale for about an hour.

        Alice

        --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "KATHERINE ANDERSON" <kanderson@...> wrote:

        > This is from my brother in law who just bought a house on Monticello and
        > Altgeld. Any idea what's going on here?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Kathy
        >
        > ________________________________

      • KATHERINE ANDERSON
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1 12:12 PM
          Wow.  That sounds horrible!  I hope they get this figured out!
          --Kathy

          I was awakened at 1:42am by four gunshots...and then a lot of screaming, hollering, cursing, and folks running around in the street. I called 911. Police came immediately, along with an ambulance and fire trucks. Before they arrived, I heard someone say, "oh my god, he's been shot in the head!". When the police showed up, they immediately started gathering up a few people and dispersing the crowd.

          I saw posted this morning on EveryBlock that the incident stemmed from a "traffic incident", whatever that means. The police, etc. were out on the street and blocked off eastbound Altgeld and southbound Lawndale for about an hour.

          Alice

          --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "KATHERINE ANDERSON" <kanderson@...> wrote:

          > This is from
          my brother in law who just bought a house on Monticello and
          > Altgeld. Any
          idea what's going on here?

          Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:39 AM
          > To: KATHERINE ANDERSON

          > Hey Kathy!

          Could you do me a quick favor? Could you please check the Logan Square

          listserv you are on and let me know if anyone has news on a shooting

          from last night? We were woken up by five shots at 1:45am. The shots

          sounded really close and we could hear lots of screaming. Pretty

          terrible. I couldn't find clothes to walk out and see where the cops

          ended up, so I'm not sure where the shooting was. Anyway, please let me

          know if you find anything.

          > Thanks!

          Kurt

        • andrealynn262003
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 12:14 PM
            I was going to ask about this too. I heard the shots last night - four also and then the sirens. Same time. I looked on Every Block this morning but maybe it wasn't posted yet.

            Andrea

            --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "mommyalizoom" <mommyalizoom@...> wrote:

            > Kathy,
            >
            > I was awakened at 1:42am by four gunshots...and then a lot of screaming, hollering, cursing, and folks running around in the street. I called 911. Police came immediately, along with an ambulance and fire trucks. Before they arrived, I heard someone say, "oh my god, he's been shot in the head!". When the police showed up, they immediately started gathering up a few people and dispersing the crowd.
            >
            > I saw posted this morning on EveryBlock that the incident stemmed from a "traffic incident", whatever that means. The police, etc. were out on the street and blocked off eastbound Altgeld and southbound Lawndale for about an hour.
            >
            > Alice
            >
            > --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "KATHERINE ANDERSON" <kanderson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is from my brother in law who just bought a house on Monticello and
            > > Altgeld. Any idea what's going on here?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Kathy

          • Mary

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1 7:45 PM
                  This was forwarded to me by Sergeant Weiglein in regards to the shooting:

                  Sorry for the delay in my response. Yes, there was a shooting this morning at 1:45 am in the area of Altgeld and Ridgeway. It was gang related. Four individuals (victims) were traveling east on Fullerton preparing to make a left turn on Ridgeway. A vehicle (offenders) traveling west on Fullerton stopped and signaled to allow the victims to make their turn. The offender's vehicle followed. They all stopped shortly after the turn and began yelling gang slogans. The offender exited his vehicle and began shooting a handgun. He did not hit any of the occupants inside the vehicle. However, they were injured by shattered car-window glass.

                  No one was caught and the description of the offender is vague (Male black between 30 and 33).

                  We have increased police presence in the area and currently the areas from Belmont to North Ave and Central Park to Kostner are designated as a "High Threat Level Gang Conflict." This conflict is the reason for the increase in police presence. In addition, I can't emphasis enough with calling "911" when the gang members are out loitering. Having the area as a conflict allows the us (the Police) to legally disperse any gang member from any corner in the area. If they come back within eight hours, they can be arrested for gang loitering.