Re: Logan Square labeling

  • Carter OBrien
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
      I'd go so far as to say that besides factually incorrect (the beat in
      question is only one of many), this is slanderous.

      if a company can be considered an individual, can a neighborhood?

      maybe LSNA or somebody with "official" credentials can demand this be
      dropped...

      Carter

      --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "Jill Snider" <jkatrina@e...> wrote:
      > While perusing Chicago Craig's List for a roommate I came across an ad:
      >
      > $480 - Logan Square is Murder Capital of Chicago! Choose Lincoln
      Square!
      > http://chicago.craigslist.org/roo/24584924.html
      >
      > How sad is that?
      >
      > Jill
    • Robert Schultz
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
        "To have a complete dialogue, we must reach out to youth, make them part of
        this discussion, and really listen to them."

        I have to agree. No solutions will be found if we stay engaged in an us vs them mentality. There will be no silver bullets in the endeavor either. - wrs3
      • galtieri_ellis
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
          Logan Square certainly isn't the murder capital of Chicago, but our
          homicide rate is a very serious indicator, one that we all need to heed,
          discuss and act on.

          I have been encouraged by the dialogue on the listserve regarding gangs and
          youth. The issues are complex. To have a complete dialogue, we must reach
          out to youth, make them part of this discussion, and really listen to them.
          They know what's going on. Maybe then, can we better strategize with them
          to keep them and our communities safe.

          dm
        • Colette Bernhard
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "galtieri_ellis" <
            aurorartsalliance@s...> wrote:
            > Logan Square certainly isn't the murder capital of Chicago, but our
            > homicide rate is a very serious indicator, one that we all need to heed,
            > discuss and act on.
            >
            > I have been encouraged by the dialogue on the listserve regarding gangs
            and
            > youth. The issues are complex. To have a complete dialogue, we must
            reach
            > out to youth, make them part of this discussion, and really listen to them.
            > They know what's going on. Maybe then, can we better strategize with them
            > to keep them and our communities safe.

            I hear you, but maybe, first, we could really listen to our other listserv
            members rather than focusing on whether or not policitically correct
            descriptions were used. The original post was about a person who was
            intimidated outside the Dunkin Donuts while 6 cops sat inside. Unfortunately,
            rather than acknowledging and addressing the incident described, everyone
            got sidetracked about how the poster described the people who did the
            harrassing. And I think that's unfortunate.

            I would like to reach out to the original poster and say, I am sorry you had that
            happen to you! I can tell you that, in the moment, dialogue is not the thing. The
            police will advise anyone to call them first and let them sort it out. Did you
            mention it to the police that you were harrassed outside? Do you feel they
            police should have noticed it as it occurred?

            Stay safe,
            Colette
          • Carter OBrien
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
              I think all Collette was trying to say is that the fellow who felt
              intimidated could use some words of support - it's terrible to be put
              in a position where you feel your safety is threatened, whether he put
              that experience into words that resonated positively is really a
              different subject...it's not easy to put an experience that shakes you
              into an email, we should just remember that communicating via the
              Internet has some limitations.

              Carter
            • Jill Snider
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
                Actually,
                The original post for this subject referred to a listing from Craig's List.
                :)

                The Dunkin Donuts note was a different thread.
              • galtieri_ellis
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
                  This is an on-going, open dialogue, one that has included many ideas
                  prompted by single posts.

                  I am offended by the characterization that I was not listening or that I
                  encourage only "politcaly correct" language.

                  dm