Re: [LoganSquare] Ice walks

  • Guy Matheson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 7:50 AM
    Attached is a flyer made by the Active Transportation Alliance; it's kind of neat as one side is "praise" for people/businesses who take the time to do snow/ice removal from their sidewalks and the other part of the document is a reminder that it's the law to do snow/ice removal from one's sidewalks in the winter time.

    While this may not solve the problem of non-compliant snow removers, it does at least make them aware of their responsibility to make an effort to make their portion of city sidewalks ice/snow free.

    Much like it's illegal for anyone over the age of twelve (12) to ride their bicycle on a city sidewalk in Chicago city limits, I suspect that this "snow removal" law is very similar; meaning a great number of city residents aren't aware of it - and/or adhere to it as they know it's very gently enforced by
    law enforcement.

    The snow removal issue is even further complicated as a great number of multi-unit buildings contract snow removal to 3rd parties and/or is not handled by oon siteoccupants - the residents of multi-unit ( at least the large buildings ) apartment/condo buildings rarely seem to take it upon themselves to personally handle snow removal; I would think that these residents feel that the rent and/or condo association dues that they pay precludes their obligation/duty to personally remove snow.

    I've rented in an owner-occupied two flat since 2003 and even though it's not required in my lease to do so, I always act like I'm the property owner and promptly remove ice/snow from "my" portion of the city sidewalk.  It's good exercise, doesn't really take that much time if you keep on top of it and I feel it's my obligation to make the sidewalks safe so people don't have to walk in the streets; which in turn makes the streets safer for cars and year-round bicycle riders ( which I am ) and
    keeps traffic flowing, which is very important in Chicago's harsh winter months.

    I think it all boils down to individuals stepping up and doing a bit extra.  These flyers are great ways of kindly thanking those that do a bit extra and reminding those people who don't of their legal obligation to do so.

    Fortunately, Spring officially starts today and with average daily high temps of 40 and rising every day, this problem will soon be taken care of by Mother Nature soon enough....

    Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 7:44 AM
      Thanks for the comments everyone. I realize it is late in the season for such a complaint but at least I have a better education to approach situations such as these.

      Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4 12:19 PM
        Once upon a time (Mon Mar 01), Guy Matheson wrote:

        > Attached is a flyer made by the Active Transportation Alliance;
        > it's kind of neat as one side is "praise" for people/businesses
        > who take the time to do snow/ice removal from their sidewalks and
        > the other part of the document is a reminder that it's the law to
        > do snow/ice removal from one's sidewalks in the winter time.

        As an aside, I've been curious about the liablity aspect. As property
        owners do not own the land abutting their property on which the
        sidewalk sits, who is liable when somebody slips and falls and
        breaks their neck on what is public land? I found this on a personal
        injury lawyer's site:

        Section 10-8-190 states that “any person, who removes snow
        or ice from the public sidewalk or street, shall not, as a
        result of his acts or omissions in such removal, be liable
        for civil damages.” In other words, the Chicago ordinance
        suggests that a business or property owner may be considered
        negligent for failing to shovel, salt or remove ice from the
        sidewalk, but not for removing snow/ice in a careless manner.

        More generally, Illinois follows the “natural accumulation”
        rule (codified in the Snow and Ice Removal Act, 745 ILCS 75/2
        (2006)) for slip and fall accidents, which states that a
        property owner has no duty to remove a natural accumulation
        of snow or ice from property. However, a property owner
        may be held liable for a “voluntarily undertaking” to
        remove ice and snow, and doing so in a negligent manner. Or,
        a property owner may also be held liable for slips and falls
        on an “unnatural accumulation” of ice or snow (often
        caused by the negligent snow/ice removal).

        (http://www.passenlaw.com/blog/personal-injury-law/winter-slip-fall-liability-illinois-property-owners)

        It appears that in general that nobody has a responsibility to
        remove "natural" accumulations of snow from their own property,
        and in fact can be held liable for injury as a result of removing
        snow. But Chicago ordinance states that people must remove snow from
        the city's property that is near their own, and attempts to remove
        the potential liability accumulated by performing that act. I wonder
        how it plays out in reality.

        Larry