RE: [LoganSquare] Re: "the park is laid out in a way that will cause you to collide with others."

  • Jane Heron
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 30, 2009
      Having been a pretty close observer on the Park District-community Relations
      scene for for almost 30 years, I'd like to say something. the plan and
      design of the skate park could not have been hi-jacked for political means.
      The system does not work that way. The Park District decided to conduct
      open community meetings to test some new concepts and solicit comment in
      2007-2008. That did not involve the alderman directly, nor was it his
      initiative. The skate park idea had been a fledgling community concept
      since long before then. The Park District included it in the list of ideas
      it offered in those community hearings, and then it had legs or wings of its
      own. the Park District Capital Construction Division has its own rules,
      procedures, and vendors. I belive that Mark Heller tried to hang onto the
      concept as it got msticated in this mill,and whether his efforts were
      helpful or not, I don't know. What I do know from years at Kosciuszko and
      Unity Parks is that once the Park District starts to work on an idea, trying
      to have more comunity input is like being bheind a motorcylce on a rope. In
      my case, when I did get to halt Vilma's disastrous plan for Unity Park,
      someone accused me of going around the community. There's winning as a
      community advocate. Jane heron

      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 8, 2009
        here is the entirety of my contribution to the article

        Skateboarder Tim Pool, 23, of Lakeview was recruited by Ligas to
        monitor the park. True skateboarders are against the tagging because
        it can lead to authorities closing parks down—either temporarily for
        cleanup or permanently, he said. The quality matters, too, he said.

        "Really good tags have shading and color. This is a guy with markers
        making a sloppy mess all over a ramp," Pool said, suggesting a wall
        for graffiti should be erected in the park.

        stopping graffiti and keeping the park open.

        Thank you for showing my agenda, I want to make sure everyone is aware I intend to make sure this park is open and better for all the kids to use, as long as they are supervised and safe.