Re: [LoganSquare] Sunday Boulevard Parking

  • Darrel Wood
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 30 8:04 PM
      <"it is a race/ethnic/ class issue, and will always prevail in thr neighborhood
      wm">
      Hmmmm.......still trying to wrap my brain around parking on the Boulevards and race. Just not computing. Many of the people who drive in from other towns became church members when the neighborhood was more Caucasian....or their parents were members and they continued the tradition. In other words, a lot of them are white. Some of them are Latino. Some are (gasp!) actually black! Maybe even Blatino!
      It's not even a Christian vs. Non-Christian issue----if there was a synagogue or Buddhist temple thrown in, I'm sure the police wouldn't ticket them either (how DOES one distinguish between a Baptist, Catholic, Hindu or Yiddish car? Do Jewish cars have shorter tailpipes, or did the seats just buy their fabric wholesale??? A Jewish car, a Baptist car and a Catholic car drive into a bar, the bartender says.....oh sorry, never mind, going off topic).
      I don't even see it really as a Church vs. State issue, although that's been argued in this group. I'm sure if the Farmer's Market gained the popularity to bring crowds in from as far away as Mundelein and South Bend, the organizers would be able to make some arrangements similar to what the churches enjoy. Church vs. State just makes it murky and contentious and cranky. The bottom line is that it's a public safety issue, pure and simple. It doesn't matter the race, creed or color of the people parking.....it matters in the same way that running a red light creates a safety hazzard.
      Or perhaps, wm davis, this isn't really about parking. Maybe this is about the fact that soon caucasians will no longer be in the majority. As a fellow caucasian, I have to admit I'm a little too busy to get riled up about that. Living, working and running a business in Chicago, I've dealt with a lot of Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, African-Americans and Bahian-Panamanians and most of the time, to borrow a phrase from Sally Field, I like them, I really, really like them. (And, considering that the issue is people driving into the neighborhood to park for church, there's a good chance they don't live in the 35th or 26th wards, so I don't think losing their vote is really something the aldermen are staying up late worrying about).

      --Darrel
    • Darrel Wood
      Message 31 of 31 , May 5, 2009
        I have to agree it is rather difficult by Armitage Baptist. It is extremely difficult to see traffic coming south from the square, and it whips around the monument and heads south like it's the Logan Square 500. I didn't realize Armitage even had anyone supervising cars----I guess it must be over on their side of the boulevard....I live just west of Kedzie. I'm waiting for a nasty crash of some sort some day....hopefully I will not be involved.

        Darrel

        ________________________________
        From: KATHERINE ANDERSON <kanderson@...>

        i live one block south of the armitage baptist church and it is an
        absolute mess every Sunday. if i have to drive anywhere on a Sunday (I
        try not to for this reason), it's really difficult to get past my block
        (at albany). There are cars parked all over the place, it's impossible
        to see around any corners at the intersection, and the people they have
        standing around who look like they're supposed to be directing traffic
        aren't doing a damn thing. I've almost been hit several times just
        trying to make a right from albany onto kedzie over there. It's really
        bad.