Re: Positive Advocacy and Logan Square

  • birthnews
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
      I have to agree that a library on Fullerton is a bad idea (TM) because of the
      heavy traffic. I do not look forward to walking down Fullerton to make our trips
      to the library. We go at least once a week. It's much nicer to stroll down quieter
      streets, with the current location on Altgeld.

      As far as developing Fullerton: I hope this is done with thoughfulness! I
      believe this street is sort of a borderline between Colon and Ocasio's wards. I
      always wondered why so much effort was put into Armitage. when Fullerton is
      obviously more of a corridor. There are so many empty storefronts on
      Fullerton now. And let's not forget the former Duk's empty lot(s) -- I have a
      hard time believing it's really going to be a Walgreen's given the For Sale sign
      and length of time it's been empty.

      Also, I was very disappointed to see (on Halloween) that the old Kimball
      Pharmacy location has a sign in the window announcing that it will soon open
      as, yet another, hip-hop music store. That will make three such "stores" on
      Fullerton between Kimball and Central Park. How many of these do we really
      need? I hope the free market will close it down soon. I do not relish walking by
      there, as the other "music stores" I've seen tend to blare obscene lyrics onto
      the street and flash annoying strobe lights. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly
      surprised?

      What would it take to attract businesses like a decent, clean corner store with
      a variety of offerenings or a comfortable family restaurant that does not use a
      deep frier and has actually heard of fresh vegetables?

      Sorry for the public vent, but I wanted to voice my opinions on these subjects. I
      don't have any answers, myself, but I am interested in what everyone else has
      to say.

      Take care!
      Colette
    • Jane Heron
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
        Colette--Your comments are interesting. True, our library site is sweet and
        homey, and I love it. But hundreds of people don't even know that we have a
        library, and I mean well educated people who read books. The new library
        will be highly visible, and a lot more kids who need a place to study and
        use computers will go there.

        As to Fullerton, remember that we don't have Urban Renewal any more, so new
        development is based on private money. The people who own or buy land can
        do with it almost whatever they want, so long as the zoning allows it.
        That's why it isn't logical to say "Why can't we have a park at California
        and Diversey," since the land is owned by Olympic Carpet, they want to sell,
        and the Park District doesn't want to buy it.

        Whether the Park District is right or wrong in our opinion doesn't really
        affect the picture. As to Fullerton, or Diversey, what types of business
        come in depends on how the people who scout for sites see our community
        developing. Walgreen's IS coming to Kimball, and may start construction yet
        in 2003. But we are not seeing more upscale merchants coming in...because
        they don't see the area as producing enough purchases to make a profit. We
        have a lot of people who would like to see more variety and better stores,
        but they number in the hundreds, not the thousands. Talk to Bob Olsen at
        Viking Ski Shop and see how hard he's had to work for so many years to
        develop and maintain his business. Jane Heron
      • Kevin Womac
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2003
          Heavy traffic on Fullerton a reason for keeping the library from moving
          in? Man, you have already given up. Why not move not only the library,
          but the alderman's office, a drugstore and various and assorted other
          pedestrian oriented storefronts to Fullerton. That's how you should deal
          with traffic problems. I live on the diagonal block of Albany. The
          stoplight at my corner, on Fullerton does not work properly. Neither of
          the walk buttons register input. The only time the light changes is when
          a two ton car is over the metal detector in the pavement. and that
          sucks. and there is an elementary school across the street! At least
          there is a crossing guard when school starts and lets out. Apparently
          pedestrian needs are not high on CDOT's agenda for Fullerton. and if we
          bitch and moan and keep further community development off of Fullerton,
          they will maintain such attitude!
          kevin

        • birthnews
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 5, 2003
            --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Womac <kevin@k...> wrote:
            > Heavy traffic on Fullerton a reason for keeping the library from moving
            > in? Man, you have already given up. Why not move not only the library,
            > but the alderman's office, a drugstore and various and assorted other
            > pedestrian oriented storefronts to Fullerton. That's how you should deal
            > with traffic problems. I live on the diagonal block of Albany. The
            > stoplight at my corner, on Fullerton does not work properly. Neither of
            > the walk buttons register input. The only time the light changes is when
            > a two ton car is over the metal detector in the pavement. and that
            > sucks. and there is an elementary school across the street! At least
            > there is a crossing guard when school starts and lets out. Apparently
            > pedestrian needs are not high on CDOT's agenda for Fullerton. and if we
            > bitch and moan and keep further community development off of Fullerton,
            > they will maintain such attitude!
            > kevin

            Your attempt to castigate me for my viewpoint does not make the idea of
            walking 4 blocks down Fullerton with three children any more appealing to
            me. I still think high traffic makes it a bad location.

            Colette