Re: [LoganSquare] Re: Emergency Rally for Supportive Housing

  • Richard Frizelis
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 31, 2008
      Where can we get a copy of this petition and all of it's signatures? How many that signed this document live/work in the immediate vicinity of this building??? I know I certainly haven't seen/or heard anyone petitioning my neighborhood.....I live a block away and can see this building from my house. It would be interesting to map out the addresses of the individuals that signed this petition....my guess is that most do not live nearby.

      Sabrina Ramirez <s_ostalaza@...> wrote: The Mayor wants supportive housing in Logan Square, so that location
      is the answer. We have 600+ signature in a petition for supportive
      housing, so please don't say that the community does not what that
      building for supportive housing, we have proof that they do. Do you
      know of another building that we can get? Tell me, because I work for
      the the agency that wants supportive housing at the Sachs. If not
      there, then where?
    • coloradocommuter
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 1, 2008
        I'm coming to the conclusion based on what I've read and seen about
        artists impacts on areas toward economic revitalization. If there are
        studies showing supportive housing has done the same, I just have not
        read them.

        But, based on my own experience here in Logan Square, additional low
        income residents have not brought economic development. When I first
        moved here, much of Diversey Square apartments was just beginning
        construction. Now it has been complete for some time and we have LOST
        grocery stores. Certainly I cannot conclude cause and effect, but I
        can conclude that the additional residents did not bring grocery
        stores. And I believe there are as many, if not more, empty Milwaukee
        Ave. storefronts. (Living just a couple of blocks from Diversey
        Square apartments let me also say that I find the residents for the
        most part to be good neighbors and the buildings well managed.)

        For me, the issue is spending TIF dollars for their purpose of
        place-based economic development. I believe an artist-focused use
        will serve that purpose while supportive housing will not. And, I
        believe that there is already a concentration of low-income housing in
        the area such that additional low-income housing without the added
        benefit of economic development (as the artists could bring) could
        adversely affect economic development.

        - Lynn