proposing a walking tour/strategy session for Logan Square

  • Ginkilgore@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
      The Logan Square email list has lately had many messages about pedestrian needs in Logan Square. One way to work towards a solution would be to bring people together to identify problems and suggest improvements. I am volunteering my services to help synthesize concerns and share what I know about solutions that might work. I have some experience with helping communities identify problem areas for pedestrians and strategies for improvements. I also live and play in Logan Square.

      I suggest organizing a walking tour and strategy session sometime in July, perhaps Sunday, July 20, 2-5pm. The product would be a map of “problem” areas (ie, places that are difficult to cross or are unpleasant to walk along) and ideas for improvements. This document could be a springboard for discussions with elected officials and city departments. I volunteer to pull the documentation together. I attended some of the Logan Square Open Space meetings and am familiar with many of the issues that were brought up in that context. I also know a lot of creative thinking has already happened about how to make our streets calmer. I do not think it would be very difficult to get all of our concerns into a report.

      Check out http://www.walkable.org/wcaudit.htm for more info on the type of event I am proposing (I have taken Dan Burden's Walkable Communities training.) Please email me off list if this is something you think you would be interested in doing--if folks seem to think it's a good idea, I will post logistics later.

      Gin Kilgore,
      Logan Square Resident(26th ward)

      Pedestrian Program Manager
      Center for Neighborhood Technology
      2125 W. North Avenue, Chicago IL 60647
      773.278.4800 x115 gin@...
      fax: 773.278.3840 www.cnt.org
    • Christy Prahl
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 8:49 AM
        Dear Gin,

        Please count me in for a meeting on the 20th. If you need someone to help
        arrange a meeting site, please let me know. I've kept a copy of each
        correspondence surrounding this issue, which--despite differences in
        strategy and approach--indicate this is a real concern for so many of us. I
        agree it's time to channel some of that energy toward productive changes.
        Please keep me posted.

        Christy Prahl

        >From: Ginkilgore@...
        >To: LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [LoganSquare] proposing a walking tour/strategy session for Logan
        >Square
        >Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:41:29 -0400
        >
        >The Logan Square email list has lately had many messages about pedestrian
        >needs in Logan Square. One way to work towards a solution would be to bring
        >people together to identify problems and suggest improvements. I am
        >volunteering my services to help synthesize concerns and share what I know
        >about solutions that might work. I have some experience with helping
        >communities identify problem areas for pedestrians and strategies for
        >improvements. I also live and play in Logan Square.
        >
        >I suggest organizing a walking tour and strategy session sometime in July,
        >perhaps Sunday, July 20, 2-5pm. The product would be a map of ���problem���
        >areas (ie, places that are difficult to cross or are unpleasant to walk
        >along) and ideas for improvements. This document could be a springboard for
        >discussions with elected officials and city departments. I volunteer to
        >pull the documentation together. I attended some of the Logan Square Open
        >Space meetings and am familiar with many of the issues that were brought up
        >in that context. I also know a lot of creative thinking has already
        >happened about how to make our streets calmer. I do not think it would be
        >very difficult to get all of our concerns into a report.
        >
        >Check out http://www.walkable.org/wcaudit.htm for more info on the type of
        >event I am proposing (I have taken Dan Burden's Walkable Communities
        >training.) Please email me off list if this is something you think you
        >would be interested in doing--if folks seem to think it's a good idea, I
        >will post logistics later.
        >
        >Gin Kilgore,
        >Logan Square Resident(26th ward)
        >
        >Pedestrian Program Manager
        >Center for Neighborhood Technology
        >2125 W. North Avenue, Chicago IL 60647
        >773.278.4800 x115 gin@...
        >fax: 773.278.3840 www.cnt.org

      • Christopher Gagnon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 9:05 AM
          Hey Gin--

          Count me in, too. I'm excited about *doing* something instead of just
          complaining!

          --Chris