La Estancia??

  • windycitywoman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      What type of affordable housing is "La Estancia", being constructed at
      California and Division, going to be? How many units?
    • mickhailb
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "windycitywoman"
        <windycitywoman@...> wrote:
        > What type of affordable housing is "La Estancia", being
        constructed at
        > California and Division, going to be? How many units?

        La Estancia is newly constructed, affordable rental housing being
        developed by Bickerdike Redevelopment Corporation, a 39 year old,
        non-profit, community-based organization working in West Town,
        Humboldt Park, Logan Square and Hermosa.

        La Estancia consists of 57 units newly constructed, affordable
        rental units in three buildings-- 30 units at the corner of Divsion
        & Califronia and 27 units in two buildings on Division just west of
        Kedzie. The first residential units west of Kedzie will begin
        occupancy later this month and the California
        /Division building will be complete this summer.

        Apartments are mostly large 2-,3-, and 4-bedroom units to
        accommodate area families at risk of being displaced by escalating
        real estate costs and the loss of rental units to condo conversions.
        Rents are affordable to area families with household incomes from
        about $18,000 to $48,000 anually.

        All apartment units include central air conditioning, stoves and
        refrigerators, washer and dryer hook-ups, and will be wired for
        highspeed internet access. Three and four bedroom units include a
        second bathroom.

        To see some renderings and more background on La Estancia, go to:
        http://www.newcommunities.org/communities/humboldt/articleDetail.asp?
        objectID=358&communityID=7

        Moderator's comment: This link didn't work for me.

        As an aside, Bickerdike won a prestigous national award last week--
        the Fannie Mae Maxwell Award of Excellence for it's Harold
        Washington Unity Co-op development. For more info see:
        http://www.fanniemaefoundation.org/grants/2006_maxwell_bickerdike.pdf

        Bickerdike is working with the Logan Square Neighborhood Association
        to bring a similar affordable rental housing project to Logan
        Square. For more information, call Elena at LSNA--773-384-4370.

        Michael Burton
        Development Supervisor
        Bickerdike Redevelopment Corp.
        www.Bickerdike.org
      • Dorothy Petrillo-Zbornak
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
          I'm very interested to know as well; it's exciting to see new development in this area. I've been thinking of purchasing a home around Humboldt Park, and the nearby SE area between Ukrainian Village and Norwegian Memorial....

          Gabriel

          windycitywoman <windycitywoman@...> wrote: What type of affordable housing is "La Estancia", being constructed at
          California and Division, going to be? How many units?

          *********************************
          http://parkpalladium.blogspot.com

          ---------------------------------
        • mickhailb
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            --- In LoganSquare@yahoogroups.com, "mickhailb" <mickhailb@...>
            > To see some renderings and more background on La Estancia, go to:
            >http://www.newcommunities.org/communities/humboldt/articleDetail.asp
            ?objectID=358&communityID=7

            > Moderator's comment: This link didn't work for me.

            Opps-- sorry there was a space in the URL. To see the renderings and
            article, try:
            http://www.newcommunities.org/communities/humboldt/articleDetail.asp?
            objectID=358&communityID=7

            If you want to have a look at the project first hand, the two
            buildings west of Kedzie are nearly complete (addresses are 3228 and
            3248 W. Division) and the California/ Division building's first
            floor and beautiful stone arches are in place.

            And, perhaps most importantly,I forgot to mention that we are still
            leasing 3 and 4 bedroom units-- call 773-227-6332 for more info.

            Thanks!

            Michael Burton
            Development Supervisor
          • raul_echevarria@juno.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
              La Estancia is Bickerdike Redevelopment Corporation's current
              development. It will include 57 rental units affordable to area working
              families. Projected monthly rents are: 1-bedroom apartments $497,
              2-bedrooms $597, 3-bedrooms $701, and 4-bedrooms $770.

              The development will be located on three vacant parcels, one being
              Division and California, the other two on Division between Kedzie and
              Homan. This development includes retail space on the ground floors. I
              believe the building on Division and California will include 36 rental
              units, but I'm not absolutely sure.

              The tenant selection process will include income qualification, credit
              checks, home visits, landlord references, criminal background checks,
              and final decision by a Tenant Selection Committee composed of local
              volunteers. Area residents will receive first preference in the
              application process.

              For more information call Bickerdike at 773-278-5669 or visit
              www.Bickerdike.org

              ---- Raul Echevarria